99 Yukon sputter at highway speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed on the highway or on an incline when traveling at higher speeds, if I get on the gas it responds like it doesn't know what gear to go in or can't find a gear. If I get on it from standstill or slower speeds it accelerates and shifts normally. Any ideas where to start? No SES light since about 3-4 months ago when I got a code for bad o2 sensor.

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm slightly confused, is it sputtering as in misfiring, or is the transmission constantly wandering through gears?

OP
OP
the 18th letter

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not positive but feels like the tranny to me. It will kick down but won't accelerate. I let back off it after I notice the problem. If I accelerate normally it will run all the way up odometer, only if I get on her hard will the problem occur.

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, sounds like something in the engine, and maybe the tranny is trying to compensate by dropping gears? About how fast are you usually going?

OP
OP
the 18th letter

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, sounds like something in the engine, and maybe the tranny is trying to compensate by dropping gears? About how fast are you usually going?

I was cruising at about 70 when I got on it to pass someone. 2nd time I tried it I was going about 65 when I mashed it. It almost felt like it might not be getting enough gas. The last time it happened was under hard throttle going up a nice incline. Like before, when I let off it and eased on the gas it sped right up no problem. The reason I said tranny is because I've been noticing some hard shifts, under light throttle, out of 1st recently.

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plug in and see if you see a smooth full sweep signal from TPS.

Thats a good start. And the 4l60E is notorious for a hard 1-2 shift. It gets worse with wear in the valve body. Mine was like that for about 40K before it failed for an unrelated reason. I think they make a shift kit that 'helps' it, but I'm not sure how effective it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bl74