Arnott Passive vs. Active Mageneride Replacement: Am I understanding tradeoffs correctly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you liked the way it rode when the shocks and struts were in good working order and operating as they should I would just replace with OEM.

It’s a Denali; Keep the magnetic ride control in tact or buy an SLT.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The K2 trucks are already quite rough, especially the 15 and 16 and more so with Magride. They handle better because of it but I think it was a bad choice GM made to do that because it isn’t a race car, it’s a road trip machine. I love the Auto/Magride on the GMT-900 but I would absolutely delete it on a K2.

I’m in the minority here but I do not like Arnott shocks. I like the cheap stuff and do not ride or handle well. If keeping the stock ride height: I’d buy new OEM springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks if on a budget. If not, Atomic Fab coilovers and matching rear shocks. I think I can recommend Fox coilovers also. I haven’t owned them personally but I have driven a stock height 14 Sierra with them on it and it drove fantastic on the crap stock 20” Bridgestones.

Also, springs absolutely do wear out over time. I bought the last two sets of front springs for the Autoride GMT-900 and the new springs raised my 08 3/4” and raised the 12 Denali we no longer have one inch and both rode significantly better with new springs.

OP
OP
B

bobsaget

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The K2 trucks are already quite rough, especially the 15 and 16 and more so with Magride. They handle better because of it but I think it was a bad choice GM made to do that because it isn’t a race car, it’s a road trip machine. I love the Auto/Magride on the GMT-900 but I would absolutely delete it on a K2.

I’m in the minority here but I do not like Arnott shocks. I like the cheap stuff and do not ride or handle well. If keeping the stock ride height: I’d buy new OEM springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks if on a budget. If not, Atomic Fab coilovers and matching rear shocks. I think I can recommend Fox coilovers also. I haven’t owned them personally but I have driven a stock height 14 Sierra with them on it and it drove fantastic on the crap stock 20” Bridgestones.

Also, springs absolutely do wear out over time. I bought the last two sets of front springs for the Autoride GMT-900 and the new springs raised my 08 3/4” and raised the 12 Denali we no longer have one inch and both rode significantly better with new springs.
I dont really know what a new magneride feels like on the 2015 Yukon, since I just bought it used. So I am open to options.

Can you describe how the atomic fab would ride? I do not want anything that could be considered "bouncy".

Also, would I need to buy one of the magneride bypass sensors if I went with the Atomic Fab coilovers?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know that my description will to terribly helpful since I have an 08 but they felt pretty similar to the stock Auto Ride, which is great, but at the same time, I like the Auto Ride on the 900 and didn’t want to deal with the delete for it to feel similar when I had already replaced all of my shocks with new OEM. I ended up selling them to my father-in-law for his 08 Sierra and we got the matching rear shocks and his truck drives great. The Viking shocks are dual-adjustable for compression and rebound, many adjustable shocks only have one adjustment for both. Atomic Fab also has more options now for spring rates now than when I ordered so you can dial in what you want even more. So, be aware there will be some fiddling to get them setup.

The Bilstein 5100s are great shocks also though. We put those on my uncle’s truck. They will definitely be a softer ride than the Mag Ride.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny enough, an ad for this web site just popped up on FB. The prices seem pretty reasonable, too. Comes all assembled and with a module to turn off any lights. I’d honestly love to try that Fox 2.0 setup but my shocks are fine….

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The majority of suspension as well as service issues ultimately related to aftermarket suspension installs are all over the fence you’re looking at right now. Questions like …

* Why doesn’t my truck go faster than 88 mph?
* My truck rides like ship.
* Service suspension light on, Why?
* Vibration in steering, Why?
* Cruise control stopped working, why?
* Why aren’t my Arnott or other cheap OEM replacement struts guaranteed for life like OEM?
* Why do I hate the ride on my truck?
* Why am I constantly chasing some way to get rid of the service suspension DTC and always chasing some way to fix this stupid suspension?!?!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with aftermarket suspension but you have to spend the money for quality. Cheapo aftermarket “stock replacement” junk will result in a terrible ride and/or handling sure. Defeating the service light isn’t hard. There are plenty of plug in resistors that plug into the shock connectors, DLC jumper version, some plug into the height sensors also. I made my own resistors for my SS. Defeating the air on these is a little more involved but it isn’t hard either. People that want to be cheap are the ones that have problems. Suspension is a horrible place to go cheap.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the cheapest place to buy the Arnott Shocks was SummitRacing.com

They also didnt charge a core charge.. This was a couple years ago thou.

This allowed me to call Arnott directly, and they bought them from me, and paid for shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz