Battery Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nicety

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@B-train and @Donal are on to something. My interior lights shut down after approximately 15-20 seconds and the radio will play for 10 minutes each time, unless I open the door. At one time, I had a problem of hearing the chime noise that happens when you leave your key in ignition and open the door, even though my key was out. IMO, easy to do and inexpensive ignition switch could be an intermittent cause and can try that. Make sure the new switch has the updated sign of a grey plate on the switch body. Plenty of you tube videos show how to change it. If your old switch is all black, it is the old design. Very important to match the position of the gear teeth to where yours are when you remove old switch. I have done it enough on mine and my girl's 2002 TrailBlazer, that I can change them out in about 15-20 minutes.

When my chime was going off, even with key out, I had to insert the key and cycle the switch/key again, to get it to stop chiming.

OP
OP
N

Nicety

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@B-train and @Donal are on to something. My interior lights shut down after approximately 15-20 seconds and the radio will play for 10 minutes each time, unless I open the door. At one time, I had a problem of hearing the chime noise that happens when you leave your key in ignition and open the door, even though my key was out. IMO, easy to do and inexpensive ignition switch could be an intermittent cause and can try that. Make sure the new switch has the updated sign of a grey plate on the switch body. Plenty of you tube videos show how to change it. If your old switch is all black, it is the old design. Very important to match the position of the gear teeth to where yours are when you remove old switch. I have done it enough on mine and my girl's 2002 TrailBlazer, that I can change them out in about 15-20 minutes.

When my chime was going off, even with key out, I had to insert the key and cycle the switch/key again, to get it to stop chiming.

OP
OP
N

Nicety

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello again everyone, after doing another diagnostic on my 2003 Yukon I found that the sensor in the driver door was reading that it was still open after it was closed and the truck was off and that was draining the battery. I have been trying to find a sensor but naturally it's not made anymore and it seems that the dealerships that do have it don't want to give it up. I don't want to trust a junkyard because the ones I've run across are either wrecked on the driver side or they naturally won't guarantee the part. I finally found one in Cali so hopefully that will fix the problem. Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem..

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The "sensor" is the whole latch, so bite the bullet and replace the latch. Mine did the same, and it's a wear item on vehicles this old with a lot of use of the driver's door.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again everyone, after doing another diagnostic on my 2003 Yukon I found that the sensor in the driver door was reading that it was still open after it was closed and the truck was off and that was draining the battery. I have been trying to find a sensor but naturally it's not made anymore and it seems that the dealerships that do have it don't want to give it up. I don't want to trust a junkyard because the ones I've run across are either wrecked on the driver side or they naturally won't guarantee the part. I finally found one in Cali so hopefully that will fix the problem. Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem..
Good deal! Thanks for sharing the finding. Also, just do as @Fless stated ans just put a whole new piece in and be done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tatheho