cold air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been shopping for a CAI. I've looked at Brutes, K&N, Volant, Air raid. Ok can somebody give me some real world hands on experience with these? One better than the other? Installation over one or the other?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a AEM or Spectre...no need for K&N, etc...no huge gains....help, but not what they claim.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tube is simply a Tube.
your looking for the short and straight.

Ultimatly your paying for a name as they all use the same style bends and tube ID's.
Only diff you will see is the divider box they come with.
Some are dramaticly better than others at sealing the incoming air charge from hot engine bay heat.

This is where the plastic tubes are superior. Their insulating properties are far superior to aluminum or cheap metal.
I will be (overkill I know) wrapping my specter with left over header wrap this weekend..

Even with the plate thats under the OEM airbox removed, I was seeing 199* air temps when BBt did my tune.
We had to drive around for 15 mins to get temps down low enough to start the tune..
I cant help but think alot of that came from heat soaking that bigass aluminum tube, that most of our CAI's use..

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
but you think the heated air in the aluminum tubes has enough time to 'heat soak' before the TB? That airs moving pretty good.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing I know bud. is that tube gets so damn hot I cant touch it..

Our stock plastic tubes didnt get anywhere near that hot.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

I will monitor my IAT's with a predator before and after the wrap.
Both a drive at 30 and 60. then a idle heat soak for 30 mins..

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I have the the k&n fuel injection performance kit. $230 at amazon. Yes it improves throttle response and power and induction noise. About an hour to assemble and install. And yes it is worth it :imo:

I have no intention of replacing it with something else.

Last edited:

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^I run this on my tahoe. I love the sound and the seat of my pants dyno says it was an improvement over stock.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, some old man told me sumthing that has stuck in my head forever..
He said for every 7* in underhood temp you drop, you gain 1HP.
Now that doesnt seem like alot or even factual.. but it has stuck in my head none the less and has made me wrap headers and do all sorts of things to lower under hood temps..
But we do know the colder the IAT is the more power we make.. and under hood temps play into that final IAT.

Take a peek at this..
I'm digging for more information, but found this and figured would pass it on..

Before anyone goes yelling its diesal. just remember its still a internal combustion engine, and intake temps affect a diesal just like a gas rig...

Enjoy.
http://www.genosgarage.com/GenosGarageTechArticles/TDR59_AirBox.pdf

Quoted from another car forum..
"from a program on SPEED. Two guys were fitting a cold ram air intake on a car and stated that for every one degree drop in intake air temp there was a 1-1.5HP increase"

Last edited:

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
All these intakes for the Tahoe/Yukon seem more like a short ram because it's drawing air from the engine compartment. Unfortunately, it is what it is. I recommend an intake with a plastic tube and dryflow filter. Dryflow filters won't mess up your MAF. This being said, I'm going with the GM Accessories intake. Price seems comparable to the aftermarket, and it looks like there was some thought and attention put into it.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lpz21