Condensation in headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a while now, I noticed some condensation in the driver side headlight but recently we got a lot of rain and now I have it on the passenger side. Is this normal? What can I do to fix it? As car as I know the headlights are stock. Will the moisture cause issues later?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yess, it will fade the reflective coating in the light buckets.

Best method is remove headlight assemblys and use a blowdryer to dry them from inside.
Take care not to melt them.

seal them up with clear silicone around every edge and bulb.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, condensation in housings isn't good ... long term it will stain and eventually corrode the surfaces.

It really shouldn't happen with oem lamps unless they have been damaged in some way.

Take them off and pull the bulbs and harnesses. run silicone all around the seam between the black backing and the clear cover. Inspect that there are no cracks on the back of the housings and that there are no gaps/tears in the rubber boots around the bulb holes ... if so either silicone or JB weld those. Finally take a hair drier and stick it in the biggest bulb hole, run it on cool to circulate the air (it will vent through the other bulb holes) until all the condensation goes away. Plug the harness back in making sure all the bulb sockets are in tight.

OP
OP
Denali0229

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yess, it will fade the reflective coating in the light buckets.

Best method is remove headlight assemblys and use a blowdryer to dry them from inside.
Take care not to melt them.

seal them up with clear silicone around every edge and bulb.

Thx. The projects never seem to end.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baby oil will dry it up and leave them clean and shiny. But I would still recommend checking for leaks or cracks. Trust me though, baby oil really works on the condensation.

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you changed a bulb lately? I had condensation for a while but it turned out one of the access covers was misaligned/not on right and was letting a bit in. I got it on properly and no more fog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joerob25