Convert Lear Car2U to Homelink?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big thank you to Hot Manali. I laid down the $150 in parts on a whim. Easy swap. Maybe 45 minutes with the programming, and I'm done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blazr77400

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I signed up to say thanks for all info for this.

I bought a used 07-15, Buick, homelink, overhead console and it was more or less a direct swap for my 2011 GMC Denali truck. I replaced my Car2u switch. The cost was $60 shipped.
The plug, bolt pattern, and button shape was the same.

This was for a Marantec Garage door opener.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

derfman00

Reaction score
I definitely need to do this! I just got a 2014 Denali and it has the crappy system. Can't program my gate clicker. Spent about an hour messing with it and another hour researching. Costs $50 for one clicker (stupid hoa) and I still have inferior overhead unit.

newton4mark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well i did it.....

We found the correct parts to convert and ditch Lear car2u (POS system) to Homelink in a Yukon. The conversion you need requires 2 parts and it will be all done.

The parts are from a 2013 Buick Enclave but it is Homelink and it is security 2.0 compatible so you don't even need Homelink repeaters for newer garage doors. It works with new and old. The shape is the same, the electrical connection is the same. The only difference is that when you put in the Homelink you will only have a center light vs lear uses 3 lights.

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...re/overhead-console/garage-dr-opener/10311607

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...ardware/overhead-console/transmitter/20929720

This was a major headache for me but it was VERY necessary. I have my home with a new garage door opener and my father in-law has a new garage door opener and a new opener on the gate and i couldn't open any of the 3.

If this helps only 1 person i'll be happy because it was silly that GM switched and made it difficult for customers.
Thanks for the info
Why do the buttons also have to be replaced? Will the Lear ones not work with the new module?

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This topic coming up again got me off my ass to find a replacement module. I bought an overhead console with the garage door button a while back but could never get it programmed to either garage opener. I have a fairly new Genie and prolly a 5-6yr old Chamberlain (TBH, didnt try the Chamberlain) so hopefully, this will resolve it. BTW, if anyone is looking for a basic tan overhead console - shoot me a message. Happy to send it (free) with paid shipping!

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a Homelink module out of a junk yard from a GMT800 or I think even 400. The Lear and Homelink units are the exact same outside dimensions, and fit perfectly in the GMT 900 consoles. Even the rubber buttons are the same. Even with Homelink, you still may need to purchase a repeater, but at least they're available. Good luck finding one for Lear.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swapped out the modules this weekend, finally. The console came from 08-15 Buick, which fit just fine, but the little indicator lights are different (single) from my console. No biggie in the big scheme of things. The biggest PITA was programming the door which has a Genie controller. This process required 2 steps, first getting the button configured with the existing remote, then using the learn button to marry to the Homelink module. I have a Chamberlain also but that was simple to do via learn and holding down the button. Took a few tries and a few videos to get the right sauce to make it work.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz