Diesel ETA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know when the diesels will start hitting lots?
GMC just updated their website to allow you to price out a diesel. Chevy as of 12:28am 12/2/2020 has no diesel option yet. I know both GMC and Chevy have had them roll off the line. Just gotta find the lucky dealers I guess.
I am ordering a 2023 Yukon XL diesel in the summer of 2022 :)

Tyler M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have ordered a Yukon as of 10/30. All three brands are showing up with diesels on YouTube videos. It’s happening. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hershcules

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve now talked to 3 mechanics who strongly recommend avoiding the diesel given all the mechanical issues with the Duramax engine problems in the Silverado. In fact, all three said they would steer clear for at least a year.

Are these concerns legitimate and valid on the new tahoes?

thanks!

OP
OP

100cars

Reaction score
I’ve now talked to 3 mechanics who strongly recommend avoiding the diesel given all the mechanical issues with the Duramax engine problems in the Silverado. In fact, all three said they would steer clear for at least a year.

thanks!

There are some Youtubers who have over 20K miles on this drivetrain in the Silverado that have had few or no problems. I will probably buy one as soon as they are released.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thanks!

Not really worried about it, the engine has been out for over a model year in the PU trucks. Gets pretty positive reviews from all I see...For every one that complains on a forum, there are 100 or 1000 happy ones that are highly impressed...There will always be naysayers, but I 'm placing a Yukon Denali order for one with the Duramax right after the 1st of the year... Mileage and range for vehicle size is enticing...

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just saw this recent video on a 2020 LM2 teardown.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did you guys resurrect such an old thread to post a YouTube video about an engine with 150k miles that blew up?

Like I said this forum has some propensity for people with old vehicles coming into the new section just to post their disdain.

Any engine that blows up won't be fun to look at internally.

The lm2 has been stupidly reliable and there are tons with very high mileage with very few failures.

I'd go far as say it's one of gms most reliable modern engine diesel or not.

What is a testament is that when it jumped time it ran long enough to damage the pistons like that. That's beautiful and shows it's resilience.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take any YouTube video with a grain of salt anymore, most are trying to get viewers, so they use extremes. My business we have kept trucks now longer than we normally do, we changed the criteria for replacements. We used to replace any vehicle that was 3 years, or 100k, whichever came first. We now replace them at 150k, or if the repairs will exceed the cost of a replacement. We have 2 LM2's that just hit the 150k mark, no issues, just routine maintenance. They are being replaced as soon as the new trucks arrive and can be outfitted by the shop. Realistically, they will likely have 160-170k when they are swapped out.
A good example is my old 2007 Chev 2500 LBZ Diesel I gave to my son. There are YouTube videos out there stating the transmissions are prone to failure, the pistons melt, the headgaskets leak, etc. It just passed the 400k mark, only work is 1 glow plug, the hydraboost, carrier bearing, and the front ball joints were just replaced for the second time, and he had it repained, and the seats rebuilt. He loves the truck, doesn't want to part with it. The "Planned Obsolesense" arrow, that is the belt that GM recomends is replaced at 200k. Dealership here does it for around $1,500, takes them about 4 hours.
The issue with this video, like most, there isn't a mention on well it was maintained, was it chipped, and were there any mods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EliCamarillo