Do GM dealers have a IT/Tech person on staff full time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the new vehicles are getting to be basically computers with a car wrapped around it, it seems that the day is fast approaching that dealers will need full time tech advisors.

My small town dealer is fantastic to work with. However I can see that tech issues are a bit of an issue. The service manager is eager to help but really doesn't understand the techiness of some of these vehicles.

Just wondering if anyone has come across full time tech advisors at a dealer.

ChuckNorris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As the new vehicles are getting to be basically computers with a car wrapped around it, it seems that the day is fast approaching that dealers will need full time tech advisors.

My small town dealer is fantastic to work with. However I can see that tech issues are a bit of an issue. The service manager is eager to help but really doesn't understand the techiness of some of these vehicles.

Just wondering if anyone has come across full time tech advisors at a dealer.
The whole point of having a dummy at the counter > is to get you in without answering questions …

I’ve had issues getting work at places because I’ll shell out information and they don’t like it . But the more you inform the more confidence customers have.
but it Doesn’t seem to be the goal > atleast that’s what I’ve noticed between Calgary to Olds…
my favorite shop > 3 different advisors 3 different prices ?

and your lucky if 1 guy there actually knows the stuff > same goes for just about any brand .
working in the back I’ve noticed a LOT that gets swept under

check out these photos > either nobody noticed or nobody cared .
but was rubbing on the suspension. Shop let it go that way…

Attachments

• 5599AD07-A091-481C-AA5E-63A0F6192BDA.jpeg
    5599AD07-A091-481C-AA5E-63A0F6192BDA.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 13
  • CBB05AAC-582C-4596-A405-A49F9D3E177C.jpeg
    CBB05AAC-582C-4596-A405-A49F9D3E177C.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 13

Hodgeee

Reaction score
I asked my Chevy Mechanic budy here in Vegas, and he said that they coordinate with the other dealerships, and do have specific service diagnostic techs that supposedly are up to date, but not many, and they are rarely used, just your average Joe does the diagnostic, and goes off the trouble shooting section of the repair manuals. He stated due to this items get misdiagnosed all the time and have to be brought back in. He said his dealership usually will only put on their certified Diagnostician on something when only a vehicle has come back in a time or two. He said depends on each dealership, I wont give the name of his dealership since somehow I don't want it getting back to him. Hes been doing it for 22 years, and he says hes amazed at the incompetence of most of the guys he works with, or the sheer laziness and the lack of training. He personally tells me that he only has usually one or two guys in every shop he has worked in that he would trust with his vehicle. Its a shame since the vehicles are getting so expensive now along with the maintenance, and it seems that most dealerships are not getting more training or experienced techs in his experience.

So i guess the answer at least in Vegas is NO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK