Dod failure/opportunity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys first time post and new owner of a 2015 Yukon XL Denali. 82k very clean one owner Florida truck (I'm in NY). Within 1500 mi of ownership it had #7 lifter collapse even with using a DOD disabler. I knew it was a known problem so not completely shocked, but of course not happy either.
My question is with the new inspection regulations in place in NYS has anyone successfully passed NYS inspection in the last year with a Mechanically and tuned DOD deleted vehicle? My thoughts are if I am going to rip it apart and replace it I might as well delete it if I can get it passed for inspection. My preferred tuning method would be HP tuners since I have it. Also, if it is getting a new cam, maybe a stage 1 cam might as well go in? Anyone have experience?

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lifter in my '17 Yukon Denali failed at 63,*** and bent a push rod. Highly recommend the stage 1 cam, lifters and all the rest that go with the mechanical delete and custom tune. Mine dyno-ed 352 rear wheel HP. Still gets 19.5 mpg at 85 mph.
I cannot attest to any smog tests as there are none in this stretch of desert. :)

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... with the new inspection regulations in place in NYS has anyone successfully passed NYS inspection in the last year with a Mechanically and tuned DOD deleted vehicle?
My thoughts are if I am going to rip it apart and replace it I might as well delete it if I can get it passed for inspection.
My preferred tuning method would be HP tuners since I have it.
Also, if it is getting a new cam, maybe a stage 1 cam might as well go in? Anyone have experience?
The NYS inspection computer cannot tell whether or not your ecm is either oppressed by, or has been liberated from,
Engine Half@$$ / Cylinder Confusion.

(Obviously the NYS inspection computer cannot tell if your engine has physically been upgraded to full V8 status.
If your mechanic is one of NYS' useful idjyts, go find a mech that does not brown nose NYS so hard.)

So long as your copy of HPtuna properly rewrites checksums and checksum verification numbers,
the NYS inspection computer literally cannot tell whether or not, or to what extent, your ecm has been tuned.

And that's the pessimist's answer - another way of saying, NY is using Kalephonyuh computer protocols -
and even those only check checksums and checksum verification numbers.

The optimist's answer would be:
the NYS inspection computer only checks for the proper communications protocol,
then just checks for Check Engine lights an readiness monitors.

OP
OP

2015Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had 2 instances this year with customers cars that the inspection machine has flagged and failed inspection for emissions not matching indicated records. One the customer admitted it was tuned by someone, and the other had just bought the vehicle and had no idea. Never had it happen with the old inspection machine. I do not know what extent they were "tuned", other than dmv knew it had been to the point it automatically failed them. Thus I have been Leary of doing it to my own vehicle.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had 2 instances this year with customers cars that the inspection machine has flagged and failed inspection
for emissions not matching indicated records.
As in, it failed due to tailpipe emissions? Or something else?
One the customer admitted it was tuned by someone ...
:buttkick: :chair: :doh2: :emotions122:
That's mistake #1 AND #2 AND #3 AND #4.
NEVER mention this to the mechanic. EVER.
... the other had just bought the vehicle and had no idea.
A pcm / ecm / tcm can be tuned, without its checksums / checksum verification numbers recalculated and rewritten.
When this happens, the computer may notice that the checksums and or CVNs are wrong.
That does not mean that the state knows WHAT got tuned, only that the unit was tuned by an idjyt.

When a tune includes properly rewritten and recalculated checksums / CVNs, the state computer will never notice.
When state computers can download your files and scan them with HPtuna / EFIlive, then it's time to get scared.
do not know to what extent they were "tuned", other than dmv knew it had been to the point it automatically failed them.
Neither does the dmv.
The dmv does not download anything off of the pcm / ecm / tcm / ?cm.
It simply checks checksums and CVNs for mismatches.

More coming ...

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if the state computer looks up your VIN and can identify the operating system and segments,
it can still only tell if the vehicle is using the wrong op sys or segments because the CVNs have been changed.

Example:
You buy an '00-'06 Tahoe with a 4.8L, realize your mistake, upgrade to a 6.0L from a same year bubba 2500.
You figure the simplest thing is to just use the 6.0L pcm, change the VIN, adjust the speedo, bob's your uncle ...
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

The more labor intensive thing to do would be to keep using the 4.8L pcm, then copying over whatever data from the 6.0L pcm are meaningfully different onto the 4.8L.
The labor would pay off, because the original pcm's CVNs for opsys, engine, engine diag, transmission, 2nd diag, fuel system, 'other' system, and 'control module' would get recalculated so that they don't change.

Does that explanation make any sense? If it doesn't, maybe someone else can try to explain it?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP

2015Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Upstate NY safety/emissions inspections require the vehicle to be plugged in to the state issued computer and running for the emissions/obd portion. No tailpipe or sniffer testing. The state changed what they look at in the computer in the last year to determine whether they pass or fail, it may very well be the checksum error Marky is talking about. I only know after 20 years of doing inspections in this last year I have had 2 fail for emissions not matching indicated records, never have seen it before, and I have had many vehicles over the years tuned with HP tuners that never had an issue.
So as I said before, the state changed something in what they look at, and I was hoping to have someone with personal experience have one pass with the DOD delete and tuned within the last year.
And again, as Marky stated, it may have been the 2 vehicles were tuned by inexperienced tuners.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grabbed a random VIN from an '06 Tahoe Z71 (a real Z71 with 4WD) for sale on the web
Go to https://tis2web.service.opel.com/tis2web
Plug in 1GNEK13Z26R127604 - or your VIN! - then hit 'Get CAL ID'
Next screen, select 'PCM / VCM Powertrain / Vehicle Control Module', then hit 'Next >' button
Next screen, select 'Programming', then hit 'Next >' button
Next screen, select 'Complete History'. That should open a new tab with LOTS of detailed info.
Specifically, GM calibration histories for
'Op Sys', 'Engine', 'Engine Diag', 'Transmission', 'Diagnostic' (?), 'Fuel System', 'System', & 'Control Module'
Each of those is a SEPARATELY identified and calculated piece of the .bin file that operates that vehicle.
In other words,
eight different part numbers, eight different Checksums, eight different CVNs.

GM has provided all of the info in the 'Vehicle Calibration Information' page to state (& Euro national) authorities.
If, when scanned by state computer, the info does not match what GM provided FOR THAT SPECIFIC vehicle,
regardless of tailpipe emissions or check engine lights or readiness monitors,
the vehicle is basically 'guilty of' at least one mismatch.

This is why you or the tuner are supposed to alter the file already in your pcm,
NOT use a different file (except as a reference source).
So if 1GNEK13Z26R127604 gets a 6.0L transplant, the owner should alter the files in 1GNEK13Z26R127604's pcm /
transcribe the data from a 6.0L file to 1GNEK13Z26R127604's file MANUALLY.
The properly updated tuning utility will then recalculate the checksums & CVNs so that they again match.

Then you drive into the emissions test, pass with flying colors, and leave smiling.
It's not like the gov't has HPtuna ...

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Talk about BIG BROTHER watching everything.

So glad I live out West in relative freedom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbris21

Latest posts