Engine knock and don’t know what it could be

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonawhie61989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a 2009 gmc Yukon Denali xl awd and I have a knock coming from the engine please help any insight would be appreciated.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya and longer than 3 seconds, lol
when you are recording move your phone around the engine compartment, the microphone can help isolate the location, if possible also record from underneath the engine area
so many people post a 5 second video and then want everyone to take a wild guess,,,,,,

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Have a 2009 gmc Yukon Denali xl awd and I have a knock coming from the engine please help any insight would be appreciated.

Hey, Welcome. I think you’d be impressed if I said the spark plug wire directly in front on the left hand side is bad and to replace it, but I can’t, so we’ve gotta ask a few questions.

* Has anyone else already looked into this for you?
* How long has it been going on?
* Had any work done in it recently before this started?
* How long have you owned it and what known issues does it already have beside the knock?
* Lastly, and most importantly, have you checked the oil level with the dipstick recently?

You’ve got one of GM’s best year truck. There’s no problematic cylinder deactivation / AFM, it has the flex fuel 6.2L motor that doesn’t lift a finger to get that 3T beast around.

Hopefully we’ll figure out what’s up with your Cadillac Escalade in disguise.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Being able to hear the knock will be very helpful to us in assisting you. Does the knock go away after the engine warms up to operation temperature?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the video. It will help moving around the engine bay from different perspectives and several minutes of run time. Have a helper rev up the engine or even go for a drive. Whatever is necessary so we can listen to the noise

With only words, we really can't help out folks with these kinds of noises; there's at least 2 dozen places that can be making noises, maybe more. Not directed at OP, but just a general statement.

Vehicle history is always important to know. Mileage? Did you just purchase the vehicle? Was it running okay at one time until now?

We should have a sticky that tells newbies what we need to help them.

OP
OP
J

jonawhie61989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Being able to hear the knock will be very helpful to us in assisting you. Does the knock go away after the engine warms up to operation temperature?
Well I tore down the engine yesterday and this was the knock noise.

Attachments

• IMG_4562.jpeg
    IMG_4562.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4563.jpeg
    IMG_4563.jpeg
    540.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4564.jpeg
    IMG_4564.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4565.jpeg
    IMG_4565.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4566.jpeg
    IMG_4566.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
J

jonawhie61989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, Welcome. I think you’d be impressed if I said the spark plug wire directly in front on the left hand side is bad and to replace it, but I can’t, so we’ve gotta ask a few questions.

* Has anyone else already looked into this for you?
* How long has it been going on?
* Had any work done in it recently before this started?
* How long have you owned it and what known issues does it already have beside the knock?
* Lastly, and most importantly, have you checked the oil level with the dipstick recently?

You’ve got one of GM’s best year truck. There’s no problematic cylinder deactivation / AFM, it has the flex fuel 6.2L motor that doesn’t lift a finger to get that 3T beast around.

Hopefully we’ll figure out what’s up with your Cadillac Escalade in disguise.
I tore down the motor yesterday and this was my finding.
Now I have a chance to put a 5.3 out of a 08 tahoe in the Yukon so I can build the 6.2 back up my question is will it work without any major mods?

Attachments

• IMG_4563.jpeg
    IMG_4563.jpeg
    540.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4564.jpeg
    IMG_4564.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4565.jpeg
    IMG_4565.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4566.jpeg
    IMG_4566.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 3

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damm! You cracked a piston! Did you run this truck hard? Was the motor maintained? Just curious how a piston cracks.