Front & Rear Heater Core Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m changing fluids in my new to me 135k mile 2012 Suburban and the coolant is next. While doing so, I thought it might make sense to flush both heater cores. I haven’t seen much info on flushing the rear one. Is there anything I need to be mindful of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious to know too. I plan on doing a cooling system hardening myself within a few months. I know I'm going to backwash the heater core.. But curious to hear the word on the rear unit as well.

Reaction score
I've never really heard of anyone having problems with a clogged rear heater core. I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to do it.

I had a problem with my 2001 about a year ago with the front not putting out heat and I back flushed it and it fixed it. Never had a problem with the rear. The truck has 215k on it and original cores

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just watch the water pressure, keep it fairly low to start with until you are sure you have good flow. Full house water pressure (60+ psi) could be too much for the system (15 psi), since water doesn't compress easily and that can be ******* connections. Have an extra short hose to redirect the outflow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lady112210