Gonna let 6 young adults cruise to ATL in my "beater". Fingers crossed......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oldest daughter is going to a Christian conference in Atlanta, GA. She was going to take her 2015 Fusion....we just put tires on 2 days ago. Well, on her way home from Madison, the exhaust broke after the catalytic converter as she turned onto our road. She called me about a strange noise.....followed by a pic (gotta love smart phones). I saw that it looked liked a pogo-stick waiting to happen and grabbed my youngest daughter's Buick Lucerne and met her.

Well, after looking at it, the only way safely back was in reverse......so a pot hole didn't launch the car, or crumple the pipe into something more expensive. I WILL SAY that a life of farm work/mechanical/ construction has honed my backing up skills to a sharp point (don't want to brag, because of Karma, but I love a challenge). I drove 1/2 mile in reverse while she followed with flashers. Made it in record time, quick glances showed 25 - 30 mph. It was fun! No quick actions for sure.

PRIOR to that happening, my wife and I discussed letting her and the friends take 'Beater.' I agreed that it was best. GOD also knew best as well because her predicament happened about 30 min after. I can't imagine a young female trying to figure that issue out hours from home, let alone the stealership attitude that may prevail towards young, unaware, kids.

So, now I'm checking over my buddy for a 14 hr trip. I feel good about it, just not as good as if I was driving.......182k on the clock....I can fix shit/bandaid as needed (Funny side note: 3 of 4 vehicles at my house are ALL at the same mileage right now! Except for the wife's 2017, but a few months will change that. LOL). We definitely get our money worth!

That being said, I've gone over all fluids, etc. New-ish tires up to 38 psi for good road travel. Not 100% sure they will use it, but being proactive. Just looking for some prayers that a good group of God following kids can have a good experience, and that preventative maintenance will pay off and make for a fun, enlightening, safe trip.

Thanks for reading my friends!

20240101_171533.jpg20240101_171518.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My oldest daughter is going to a Christian conference in Atlanta, GA. She was going to take her 2015 Fusion....we just put tires on 2 days ago. Well, on her way home from Madison, the exhaust broke after the catalytic converter as she turned onto our road. She called me about a strange noise.....followed by a pic (gotta love smart phones). I saw that it looked liked a pogo-stick waiting to happen and grabbed my youngest daughter's Buick Lucerne and met her.

Well, after looking at it, the only way safely back was in reverse......so a pot hole didn't launch the car, or crumple the pipe into something more expensive. I WILL SAY that a life of farm work/mechanical/ construction has honed my backing up skills to a sharp point (don't want to brag, because of Karma, but I love a challenge). I drove 1/2 mile in reverse while she followed with flashers. Made it in record time, quick glances showed 25 - 30 mph. It was fun! No quick actions for sure.

PRIOR to that happening, my wife and I discussed letting her and the friends take 'Beater.' I agreed that it was best. GOD also knew best as well because her predicament happened about 30 min after. I can't imagine a young female trying to figure that issue out hours from home, let alone the stealership attitude that may prevail towards young, unaware, kids.

So, now I'm checking over my buddy for a 14 hr trip. I feel good about it, just not as good as if I was driving.......182k on the clock....I can fix shit/bandaid as needed (Funny side note: 3 of 4 vehicles at my house are ALL at the same mileage right now! Except for the wife's 2017, but a few months will change that. LOL). We definitely get our money worth!

That being said, I've gone over all fluids, etc. New-ish tires up to 38 psi for good road travel. Not 100% sure they will use it, but being proactive. Just looking for some prayers that a good group of God following kids can have a good experience, and that preventative maintenance will pay off and make for a fun, enlightening, safe trip.

Thanks for reading my friends!

View attachment 417770View attachment 417771
at 183k the only thing that really comes to mind that can happen out of the blue is heater hose T's and the associated hoses to the water pump and reservoir
these are the oem part numbers, I would not recomend using aftermarket
4 parts total/ & coolant
HOSES.JPG

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at 183k the only thing that really comes to mind that can happen out of the blue is heater hose T's and the associated hoses to the water pump and reservoir
these are the oem part numbers, I would not recomend using aftermarket
4 parts total/ & coolant
View attachment 417773
100% thank you! Luckily those are newer in the scheme of things. I believe they were replaced at 135K before I bought it, but I will definitely give them a look-see. Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% thank you! Luckily those are newer in the scheme of things. I believe they were replaced at 135K before I bought it, but I will definitely give them a look-see. Thanks!
i would just be sure the spare has air, throw some jumper cables and a can of flx a flat in the jack storage, send it
make sure she knows where the jack is kept just in case. maybe excercise the spare tire mechanism and spray some lube on it they can get stuck from just sitting.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Down by the WI/IL border. About 1 hour SE of Madison. Lake Geneva area

jd08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is good to hear your daugther goes to christain conferences. It is tough to get the younger generation to get involved. My wife helps run a local conference close to you called Awake and Alive for 18-25 year old young adults. She has been doing it a few years. It is coming in 2 weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts