Heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been having trouble with my heater lately.

The rear heat is no where near hot. Been that way a while now.

The front just doesnt warm up like it used to. After a good time of driving it still blows luke warm air. Enough to get warm after a bit but not hot.

Where should I start looking/replacing things?

Thanks guys!

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last winter I was having the same problem with my front heat, warm but not hot. Ended up being heater core was plugged with gunk. It happens with dexcool. So, I did a reverse coolant flush with a kit from o'reilly's and some radiator flush fluid and now my heat blows hott.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may or may not be the Dexcool. could just be that the system needed to be flushed more often or lots of short trips over many years too. Regardless not a big fan of the Orange stuff, I'm sure many on here will have a different opinion. My '95 was ten years old when I bought it and the coolent was rusty brown and took over an hour to flush clean. '95 was the first year GM used "Dexcool" there was a label with all the original paperwork in the glovebox Warning the owner of the New type of coolent and not to mix or change it but to only use the new type of coolent. I changed back over to Prestone 5 years ago and the coolent stays clean and the cooling system works fine with no problems reported.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the heater core located? Is it something I could pull out and clean real good if I drained the coolant?

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buried behind the dash on passenger side. It's a pain to get to. I think it would be easier to do a flush. If you do a flush, it's a flush of the whole cooling system, not just the heater core. The heater core lines go in the firewall on pass side under the hood. Maybe you could trace them to block to see if you can disconnect them,if you just want to do just the core, but I'm not sure.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again bud! I wonder if one of those power flush from a local oil change place would be good enough or if I should do it myself and do it real good.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hate for you to spend the money to have a shop do it and then find out it's not the problem. But if the system's never been flushed might be a good idea to do it anyways. Not very difficult to do it yourself either. In any case, hope this fixes your heat problem.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the system flushed twice before at shops. When I bought it around 75xxx and then around 110xxx I think. I will probably do it myself if it gets warm enough one of these days. Thanks!

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can "Power-Flush" the Heater Core with a Garden Hose is like 2 mins. What do you have to lose but a little coolent.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thats what I was planning on doing. If its warm on next days off that is what I will be doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leschew