Help!!! Broken heater hose on firewall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @Doubeleive stated, the removal tools generally don't work well. I tried every removal tool that I could find, and none of them worked. I just broke them and removed them as he stated. Also, if you don't go with the Gruven recommendation above, purchase only OEM GM Tees.

One method that was discussed in this Forum after I changed my Tees out that seems to work for some folks is to first push the Tee further onto the pipe (not a lot of force) and rotate the Tee on the pipe to break the set position of so many years, and then to squeeze the tabs and pull straight off.

Note: Wear a pair of gloves when working with those Tees, as the firewall insulation is very aggressive, and your hands will be itching for a few days afterwards, if you don't.

Reaction score
Yup, removal like Joseph Garcia said above. Push in a bit, squeeze tabs and turn left/right while pulling out.

For the price of the Gruven parts you can replace with OE parts a few times every couple years. Their billet "Ts" are nice, but I don't like the use of silicone hose and worm drive clamps to connect them. First off it introduces twice the amount of failure points at the 3 connections (hose with 2 clamps on each connection) then the OE quick connects. Second, in my experience, worm drive clamps tear up silicone type hoses. The softer silicone will also push out through the slots in the clamp if tightened too much. If you go this route, get some spring clamps or fuel injection style clamps.

Gregory M Bone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Luckily the wife's '07 broke while she was near home. I pluuged the return hose and took it to a shop, and had both connectors and hoses replaced. I'm too old and am done repairing issues that are not easy. I would recommend replacing both connectors and hoses, as the other connector probably will soon fail as well.

jjohnsonlta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
08 Tahoe and one of mine just broke. Temp got to 260 before I pulled into the garage at home. It was a real battle to get the plastic tees off but I did. Considered getting Dorman or the like but now thinking OEM style. Just saw the billet metal ones and don't know if that would be best considering they way they install or just buy the plastic stock Chevy ones. Any thoughts to each thanks?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
08 Tahoe and one of mine just broke. Temp got to 260 before I pulled into the garage at home. It was a real battle to get the plastic tees off but I did. Considered getting Dorman or the like but now thinking OEM style. Just saw the billet metal ones and don't know if that would be best considering they way they install or just buy the plastic stock Chevy ones. Any thoughts to each thanks?

Tìt for tat. Def go with Delco over the Dorman. Billet ones depend if you want to spend that much, that is up to you.

I am running new Delcos. And don't over look the one plastic nipple connector on the one heater hose. That sucker gets brittle and snaps off too. So you got 3 pieces you should be replacing actually.

jjohnsonlta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tìt for tat. Def go with Delco over the Dorman. Billet ones depend if you want to spend that much, that is up to you.

I am running new Delcos. And don't over look the one plastic nipple connector on the one heater hose. That sucker gets brittle and snaps off too. So you got 3 pieces you should be replacing actually.

Thanks for your opinion. I am leaning toward the Delco's now. I'll look at that 3rd piece too.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jjohnsonlta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's the black piece on the right plugged into the white tee.

That third piece is white like the connector on mine. It is held in with a plastic collar on the end of the factory hose. I can't see a way of releasing it to install a new one. Not sure if that comes with a new hose or not I haven't looked.

I might just bite the bullet and go metal.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That third piece is white like the connector on mine. It is held in with a plastic collar on the end of the factory hose. I can't see a way of releasing it to install a new one. Not sure if that comes with a new hose or not I haven't looked.

I might just bite the bullet and go metal.

You can cut the hose and clamp it onto the new nipple. (Use spring clamps).

Or:

Here are the hoses with the pieces installed. Which would not hurt to replace either:

Or:

Go with the metal Gruvens.

OR:

The man with the plan @iamdub got this different brand of metal tees:

Parts link:

Build thread with pics:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Codered5557