Help with possible purchace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thydrick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1714687480407.png1714687527333.png
Looking for a little input guys. So i owned an Avalanche that i bought brand new in 05 for 13 years and got 385000 miles out of it in 13 years downsized to a 2014 Durango Citadel in 2018 and I'm ready to go back. Found this bad boy for sale asking 28.500 its a 2018 Tahoe premier with 98000 mile. Been doing vin checks and any and all research i can on this vehicle. Viewed it once in person but they wouldn't let me test drive because they said it was on hold. I guess it didn't sell. Truck looks great inside and out just wondering what i should look for when i go test drive it. the one thing that scares me it the dealer ship reviews itself they are not good at all. But i can also be a salesman's worst nightmare. I am hoping to bring a mechanic with me when i test drive it as its about 45 minutes from my home and I'm sure they wont let me take it to him. What advice have you all got for me before buying. TIA

Attachments

• 1714687364520.png
    1714687364520.png
    842.9 KB · Views: 5

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have them give you a carfax, as well as any service records tied to the VIN. That will hopefully give you some insight into its life before you.

A good mechanic should be able to point out any visual issues, as well as driveability issues.

At 100k I would suggest these
1. Trans service and flush. Front and rear diffential service.
2. Spark plugs and other tune-up items (filters, etc)
3. It's 6 years old, so coolant should be refreshed.
4. Inspect the air shocks for dry rot and make sure the compressor kicks on with initial startup
5. Make sure braking is good at low speeds (no excessive pedal effort) TSB about faulty vacuum pumps - it's in the year range I think.

Also, bargain the hell out of them. Rates are high, sales are slowing. Make them want to sell it. I don't think I'd pay 28k for it, but I'm a cheap SOB - yet sensible in areas of longevity.

Otherwise, it's a sharp looking truck.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Regardless of how diligent you are in evaluating a used vehicle, at the end of the day, it is a crap shoot. If you can take your mechanic to it for a test drive, that would probably be the best that you can do before rolling the dice. The good news is that these trucks last a long time, so even if it costs you some funds to fix any issues found later, the truck will be around for a long time.

OP
OP
T

thydrick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
B-train that exactly what I was looking for. I have seen the car fax it was a one owner car and when it was traded in it went to auction as opposed to the dealers lot but it would seem all the service records are good but like you said. I would start with all fresh fluids if I was to purchase it Thank you for the list of key things

Darkstar72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If they do let you test drive it this time I would make sure to drive it long enough to make sure it reaches full operating temperature of 210 to verify good oil pressure and trans temperature as the trans temp will let you know if the updated/colder thermal bypass valve has been installed. Look at front struts and rear shocks for any signs of fluid leaking from them as I assume this one is Magneryde suspension. Then from there the usual you would do on any vehicle...noises on drive, loose items, leaks under engine/trans/differential.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick