HID Hype

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpate8516

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so newbie to this forum but not to forums, but what is all the hype over HID kits for the Yukons? I have read the threads and done research.

To me it seems that the vLED 9005 for headlights would be the best option.

I have installed HID kits in my last 2 vehicles (Cadillac STS, and Acura MDX) and have experienced all the problems from relays to misfires.

Talking with my local tech here in Texas, there shop wont even installl HID kits anymore due to the issues and time constraints they pose when owners bring there vehicles back to get fixed or looked at.

The kicker for me was when the owner of the shop, who just purchased a 2015 Denali for his wife and 2015 Sierra for himself, takes me outside in the daytime and shows me what his plug and play vLED's (6K) look like and wow they are bright and match perfectly with the DRL's.

Heres a link what are your opinons?

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/headlights/9005-hb3/9005-ultra-lmz.html

https://youtu.be/xBnpLt8djI8

Of course Im going to go with them for my fogs, reverse and license plate, but Im asking about headlights specifically.

The projector only pushes out or in for high and low beams and worked well in his truck with the vLED's.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main problem is your still not putting the correct bulb in the correct housing. There's a reason all LED headlight vehicles have multiple projectors in them.

OP
OP
dpate8516

dpate8516

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The vLED's I plan on purchasing sit inside the housing perfectly and can be adjusted.

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch this video.

https://youtu.be/hRqxTl4rxlg

I personally dislike LEDs cause they output the light only 180 degrees so projection and display patterns may not look right.

HID'S output in a full 360 projectin more light and much further than a LED.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LEDs you have a link for says "not for use with housings that have dust caps"....all the new Tahoes, Denalis, Suburbans, etc have housings with dust caps....

OP
OP
dpate8516

dpate8516

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The LEDs you have a link for says "not for use with housings that have dust caps"....all the new Tahoes, Denalis, Suburbans, etc have housings with dust caps....
I'll ask my shop guy here about the housing and dust cap. I'm sure I read about the work around, but not sure if i want to drill into that.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vLED's I plan on purchasing sit inside the housing perfectly and can be adjusted.

I'll ask my shop guy here about the housing and dust cap. I'm sure I read about the work around, but not sure if i want to drill into that.

regardless your current housing isn't made for LED lighting, let alone that specific bulb with that light output pattern. No matter how far in our out you put the bulb, housings are meant for a specific bulb. Will you get light output out of it, yes. But it's not going to be a good pattern, or correct pattern. Here's the thread for the 07-14 with a bunch of good info and links in the first post. There's not one yet in the 15+ section, but it seems like there's a decent cutoff and light output in the 15+ halogen based housing if you put an HID bulb in there

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45797

Last edited:
OP
OP
dpate8516

dpate8516

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks I will check out that thread.

I’m not against HID as I am a recovering HID addict.

After my last HID anonymous meeting, I decided to get a feel for the LED bulbs. I guess the main issue is whether I care about the correct light output and some minor aesthetic differences.

Update:

Here is the H11 light just for comparison.

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/headlights/h11-h8-h9/h11-ultra-lmz.html#reviews

Last edited:

JBmore

Reaction score
Don't waste your time with other bulbs, that's what I did. I tried at least 8 different bulbs and the output was never good enough. Got the HID kit from xenon depot with Philips 4300k bulbs and they have performed flawlessly for a year now. Not one issue or flicker. I didn't want to go this route, but I had no choice and am now glad I did. I think they are brighter than the stock HID's on the Denali.

OP
OP
dpate8516

dpate8516

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the great input from everyone. I think I'm going to hop on the HID bandwagon.

I really appreciate the knowledge shared through this venue. Can't get this from bias view points of shop owners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnybalo