High pitched scraping while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Familyman2112

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was hoping I would find a post on this… While driving, my 2011 Yukon Denali makes a high pitched scraping noise, almost like a brake chirping, only from the passenger side. I cannot hear it inside the cabin and can only hear it with the windows down and driving next to something to bounce the sound back, like a row of trees/bushes or another vehicle. It is pretty constant. I have changed both sets of brakes and nothing looks obvious to me. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that it's AWD, have you tried to jack it up off the ground and have someone let it idle in gear while you walk and listen?

My suspects would be brake related, splash shields, maybe the rear parking brake shoes need a cleaning and adjustment. Just ideas

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If this is your first big GM truck that would be the brake pad wear indicators. Referring to the other set of brakes you haven’t changed yet.

GM’s design is a little different but this illustration better explains what may be going on.

97E28492-008D-47F1-A370-ED24EA81FBE8.jpeg

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you changed the brakes, did you use high temp silicone on the shim plates? Did you file the seating areas of the caliper, rotor, etc to make sure they are free of corrosion or buildup that would cause them to side cockeyed?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you lube the caliper pins when you replaced the pads?

OP
OP
F

Familyman2112

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I first suspected brakes. As I had driven full sized Chevy/GMC vans for years, I just assumed front brakes. Interestingly, there was a lot of meat left on all four pads and the rotors were nice and smooth. However, when I took the old pads out, the backing plate on the inside pad on the passenger side was rusty and loose and came off with little effort. I thought I found my culprit. I cleaned up the bracket, lubed the slides and installed the new pads. Unfortunately, once I started driving, the noise was still there. Just to rule it out, I did the back brakes. They were a little more worn than the fronts but not bad. Rear rotors were also good. I replaced the back pads after cleaning and lubing. The noise is still there. Now, I have a new issue, not sure if it’s related. Occasionally when I am turning, usually to the left, there is a loud clunk that can also be felt. Could my noise be coming from a bad bearing/hub?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I first suspected brakes. As I had driven full sized Chevy/GMC vans for years, I just assumed front brakes. Interestingly, there was a lot of meat left on all four pads and the rotors were nice and smooth. However, when I took the old pads out, the backing plate on the inside pad on the passenger side was rusty and loose and came off with little effort. I thought I found my culprit. I cleaned up the bracket, lubed the slides and installed the new pads. Unfortunately, once I started driving, the noise was still there. Just to rule it out, I did the back brakes. They were a little more worn than the fronts but not bad. Rear rotors were also good. I replaced the back pads after cleaning and lubing. The noise is still there. Now, I have a new issue, not sure if it’s related. Occasionally when I am turning, usually to the left, there is a loud clunk that can also be felt. Could my noise be coming from a bad bearing/hub?
Yes, it could be. Get the front wheels in the air one at a time, hold at 9 and 3 and shake, then at 6 and 12 and shake. Bearing play will be obvious and it's a common issue with sealed hubs like ours use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sylentnite