High Reving Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my belt go out recently. Took it in and they replaced the belt. All the pullys, the water pump and the fan pully. Now it revs very loud from a stop. Took it back and they said its normal and didn't want to take a drive and listen. Is this normal? I will try to get a video if that helps.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will do that when the engine is hot. If it's cold, usually driving around the block will disengage the clutch fan.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happens during any temperature. While accelerating from a stop it revs high and then cuts out. Multiple stops, not just the first one of the run.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hot is it outside? Are you running the A/C?

A hot day wil make the fan stay locked up more often as well as using the air conditioning at a stop. If you are having cooler days like 70*F. The fan should unlock after a short drive.

My fan clutch will lock up on hot days and roar for about a minute especially when the A/C is on.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hot is it outside? Are you running the A/C?

A hot day will make the fan stay locked up more often as well as using the air conditioning at a stop. If you are having cooler days like 70*F. The fan should unlock after a short drive.

My fan clutch will lock up on hot days and roar for about a minute especially when the A/C is on.

Its cold out still. 30 at night. The fat clutch kicks on and then goes off after I get up to speed. Does this every time I accelerate from a stop. It just seems like an excessive noise to me but I guess it could be normal.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really normal. It's starting to fail. Look at the center of the fan front and back and see if it's getting wet with fluid leaking out.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh now I see. Yes it is "normal" for a cheap aftermarket fan clutch to do that.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand if they replaced it with the heavy duty one that's how it acts. I have heard others complain about the same thing. Swap to electric fans or get a light duty clutch fan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukon DRL