New user and New to GM- cluster and slow elec drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, just signed up. Picking up a 2004 Tahoe with Z71 package and 5.3L engine, with 110,000miles. I am picking it up next weekend and have not yet had a chance to check out everything.

Here are issues i have found so far:

-The instrument cluster is completely dead. I think that is easy fix by ordering the stepper motors and replacing them. Any good sources for these? I was going to replace all the lights in cluster with blue LEDs while i am in there.

-There seems to be a power drain somewhere because previous owner reported battery kept dieing. the battery is brand new and still dead. It runs when jumped. I have not yet checked alternator or had time to trouble shoot more. It has the tow hitch option and did notice that the connectors had been bent (as if someone jammed a piece of wood in there or something) and may have been touching. i was wondering (after i saw it) that this may be a factor in slow leak?

-It is going to need some tires. This is going to be practical vehicle since other vehicles are lifted. But still would like to cool tread as long as it is still safest on the road to carry family. Any suggestions. It currently has 265/70r17.

-I was wondering if I needed to look out for any major milestones in terms of maintenance (expensive repairs).

Thanks in advance.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, just signed up. Picking up a 2004 Tahoe with Z71 package and 5.3L engine, with 110,000miles. I am picking it up next weekend and have not yet had a chance to check out everything.

Here are issues i have found so far:

-The instrument cluster is completely dead. I think that is easy fix by ordering the stepper motors and replacing them. Any good sources for these? I was going to replace all the lights in cluster with blue LEDs while i am in there.

-There seems to be a power drain somewhere because previous owner reported battery kept dieing. the battery is brand new and still dead. It runs when jumped. I have not yet checked alternator or had time to trouble shoot more. It has the tow hitch option and did notice that the connectors had been bent (as if someone jammed a piece of wood in there or something) and may have been touching. i was wondering (after i saw it) that this may be a factor in slow leak?

-It is going to need some tires. This is going to be practical vehicle since other vehicles are lifted. But still would like to cool tread as long as it is still safest on the road to carry family. Any suggestions. It currently has 265/70r17.

-I was wondering if I needed to look out for any major milestones in terms of maintenance (expensive repairs).

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the club!
-Don't know much about the gauge clusters.

-For the battery drain, check the window switches (drivers door armrest). I had a slight issue with them once that seemed to cause my battery to drain, I simply reseated all the connections. Also, start the truck and turn the radio on, then check to make sure the radio goes off when you open the door with the ignition OFF(I think the door switch can get stuck). These are easy to check, but electrical drain can come from numerous things. Also, check the battery terminals and cables for corrosion (would prevent proper charging from the alternator).

-Tires: I upgraded to Escalade 18's and a lot of members upgrade to other GM 20's. You get better handling, still have a nice size sidewall for rough roads, and changes the look dramatically. Your speedo will be off by 1-2mph though.

-Milestones:
Fuel pumps tend to go out on these trucks. Mine went at around 138k. Check coolant to make sure its not sludgy. What kind of suspension is on the z71's? If self-leveling, check air shocks and compressor.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for welcome.

Thanks for the tips on battery drain. I will check those out.

I don't know if we have much of a budget for upgrading wheels but can look into it if I can find used ones.

How hard is the fuel pump to replace? Does it just die and leave you stranded or does it give you warning?

Do you have to deal with timing chain? I could not find interval of change.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for welcome.

Thanks for the tips on battery drain. I will check those out.

I don't know if we have much of a budget for upgrading wheels but can look into it if I can find used ones.

How hard is the fuel pump to replace? Does it just die and leave you stranded or does it give you warning?

Do you have to deal with timing chain? I could not find interval of change.

Fuel pump can leave you stranded. Have to drop fuel tank.

Never heard of anyone talk about replacing a timing chain on here.

As for wheels, you can find used wheels relatively inexpensive. The reason I made this suggestion is because I recently needed tires and found 18" wheels off an Esky with tires that still have life left on them. Got the whole set for cheaper than what new tires would have cost, and I have nice wheels now.

Chiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and new to GM too. I got an 05 Z71 about a month ago and then left town for work for two weeks so I've really only had 2 weeks with it.
What I've learned so far:
Look into upgrading the the 05+ electric fans. This will save you some MPG.
I would have tow and roadside added to your insurance in case the fuel pump does go out on you. I fill up at 1/4 or 1/3 tank to keep fuel in there to keep it cooled to prolong it's life.
You can get a replacement cluster from rock auto or a junkyard/ebay etc and just replace the whole thing in a few minutes. Installing LED's in one is a several hour job and tedious work with a soldering iron. The older models just had replaceable bulbs.
The timing chain isn't really a maintenance item as far as I know.
A cold air from K&N or the like will wake it up and help with MPG as well. I also went for a magnaflow muffler.
Going to bigger wheels and tires will make the front hubs shit out. Tires in the stock size for the Z71 aren't too uncommon so they aren't too expensive. I think when it's time I'm going for a BFG A/T

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chiggy,

What were the issues with the old fan? How much does newer fan increase MPG?

I will look at air intake. thanks for tip.

For tires, I don't mind changing wheels if it means better road handling. I was looking at a beefier off road tire, but it makes road handling less friendly. As I already have two other trucks lifted, don't want to do third... yet. Stock is always easier to fix too.

Do people just replace the fuel pump after a set amount of miles?

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
I once had a dealer tell me to replace the fuel pump at 150k because of the in tank fuel filter. Pretty sure they just wanted the money tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had 2 fuel pumps go out on previous vehicles and with both I could hear humming from it for a few weeks before it went completely out. However my last truck started humming and I changed the fuel filter on the frame and it went away and the pump never went out. So could always try that. For the cluster I would look into just paying someone to rebuild it and add leds. As for tires, well everyone has their brand preference so just go with what you like.

Chiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chiggy,

What were the issues with the old fan? How much does newer fan increase MPG?

I will look at air intake. thanks for tip.

For tires, I don't mind changing wheels if it means better road handling. I was looking at a beefier off road tire, but it makes road handling less friendly. As I already have two other trucks lifted, don't want to do third... yet. Stock is always easier to fix too.

Do people just replace the fuel pump after a set amount of miles?
Your fan on the 04 should be belt driven. The 05+ are electric. they don't use engine power to turn saving about 1-2mpg maybe.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your fuel pump ever dies you can always give the gas tank a good slap with a 2x4. It doesn`t always work but i`ve seen it work many times. It`s not a fix by any means but it will allow you to get it home or a repair shop.

I forgot to add that you should have the key on when you hit the tank, If it works you`ll hear the pump start up.

Last edited: