HVAC box question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96redsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air now only comes from the face vents and won't select to the defrost or the floor vents.... The HVAC controls are a few years old so I can't see it being that. Is this a problem of the mixer actuator and how hard is it to replace? Is there only 1 actuator or a few of them? Never messed with this fix before so please excuse the noobness of the question... LOL

geltstavern

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I feel your pain, I'm looking at a similar problem in my 97 yukon. air only comes out the defroster. It could very well be just your mode actuator motor, it's located on the left hand side of the box under the dash. I picked up a new one from rockauto and it was cheap enough to try but after getting my fat ass under the dash I realized the actual door itself is flapping in the breeze so to speak. aint doin nothing but the actuator works.... I'm not looking forward to removing the dash, did it once before on my 96 suburban and invented some new curse words... good luck

OP
OP
96redsport

96redsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm gonna try the motor first. I actually didn't realize until a few days ago that the motors were on the outside of the box so that should save me a lot of aggravation if it is a simple fix..

AZ Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did remove my dash and replaced the whole box as mine was smashed in. If I remember correctly there is one above the 4x4 shift (if yours is also on the floor) one on the passanger side behind the glove box and another on the passanger side but behind the box against the fire wall.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
mode door motor left side of box above gas pedal linkage. temperature door motor in rear facing section of box blocked by dash support structure. recirc door motor and the forward side of box passenger side buried behind the blower.

geltstavern

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Red, let us know how you make out, especially if you have to go deep and remove the dash... I'm planning on that task as soon as it warms up a bit, still have 6 inches of snow here in northern mass... damn global warming

OP
OP
96redsport

96redsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah no crap Bill. Calling for more snow here in the next few days.... Hopefully it is just the actuator that went bad. That would be the simple fix.

Monstar_est87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here u go fellas hope this helps... I put up pix in another thread sum where but couldn't find it... Ill keep looking...
Gtuggfdtjmbcseet.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz