Is it possible to keep truck too long?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no rust here, stuff last's a long time

With 60, 80, 100, $150k automobiles that were previously 40-$60k, the day of the RestoMod is center stage.

You’ve really gotta ask yourself, $150k on a Escalade V or $100k on a 600hp Gen IV or V 6.6L DuraMax + Allison Burb or Esky or YXL.

And much more expensive to repair when out of warrantee.

Pyramid_Head

Reaction score
And much more expensive to repair when out of warrantee.
100000% agree. Another reason why older is better. You just have to take your time and research what will work best for you. The GMT900 will be my last new car I'll ever buy. Once it gives up on me, I'll just repair it, or get me an older model thats was well maintained. They're out there, believe it or not.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100000% agree. Another reason why older is better. You just have to take your time and research what will work best for you. The GMT900 will be my last new car I'll ever buy. Once it gives up on me, I'll just repair it, or get me an older model thats was well maintained. They're out there, believe it or not.

I really don’t understand how so many people seem to be ok loosing such massive amounts of money on these new vehicles. They’re still depreciating to the same values they always have but MSRP’s keep skyrocketing. I’m already seeing 2020 Escalades dip into the high 30’s, 2018’s for low 30’s.

Imagine you bought a 2020 Escalade for $80k and financed it for 7 years. That’s a $1000 payment and you probably still owe more than it’s worth after paying in it for 4-5 years, your powertrain warranty is about to expire, and B2B has been expired for 2 years. So, now what? Trade it in and do it again? I don’t see how this is sustainable. More and more manufacturers are blocking reprogramming so you can’t buy used parts, but you need to be green a buy an EV while we fill up landfills with perfectly good parts and cars. You bump a shopping cart and it’s $5k in damage because of all the sensors behind the bumpers.

I agree, I think the 900s are perfect. They have just enough technology but not to the overwhelming amount that it is now. But, GM is discontinuing parts for them like crazy. I’ve stocked up on some stuff I think I might need.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I really don’t understand how so many people seem to be ok loosing such massive amounts of money on these new vehicles. They’re still depreciating to the same values they always have but MSRP’s keep skyrocketing. I’m already seeing 2020 Escalades dip into the high 30’s, 2018’s for low 30’s.

Imagine you bought a 2020 Escalade for $80k and financed it for 7 years. That’s a $1000 payment and you probably still owe more than it’s worth after paying in it for 4-5 years, your powertrain warranty is about to expire, and B2B has been expired for 2 years. So, now what? Trade it in and do it again? I don’t see how this is sustainable. More and more manufacturers are blocking reprogramming so you can’t buy used parts, but you need to be green a buy an EV while we fill up landfills with perfectly good parts and cars. You bump a shopping cart and it’s $5k in damage because of all the sensors behind the bumpers.

I agree, I think the 900s are perfect. They have just enough technology but not to the overwhelming amount that it is now. But, GM is discontinuing parts for them like crazy. I’ve stocked up on some stuff I think I might need.
You can find lower mileage, well taken care of GMT800's-my preference and GMT900's at B.A.T. auctions. I knew I was keeping my 2005 Z71 and if you look at my build thread, you can see how I invested in Genuine GM parts and went thru 90% of the truck, except for the engine and transmission. Eventually the parts were going to be needed and I did it before the breakdown process started.

I know that people buy new for either hopeful piece of mind or just gotta have new and don't think of the loss of value over time. I have gone that route before and stopped when I put pen to paper and see how much money I was wasting. If you can get a non rusted out older truck and invest in it, you come out money ahead for sure.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's simple. Because there is a lot of money out there. A lot. It may not be in your hands or mine, but it is there. A lot of people made a killing on the stock market recently, and I know a lot of 2 income families making $250K or more a year. They have money to burn......

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's simple. Because there is a lot of money out there. A lot. It may not be in your hands or mine, but it is there. A lot of people made a killing on the stock market recently, and I know a lot of 2 income families making $250K or more a year. They have money to burn......

With as much as everything costs these days, I wouldn’t say $250k is year gives you much money to burn. When a starter home is $400k with a $2500 payment, groceries are $300 a week, two $1000 car payments, health “insurance” is $1500 a month and doesn’t cover anything. $250k burns up FAST.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's certainly one factor, another is driving experience. It's foolish to expect to get a good ROI on any vehicle, but driving a newer model is a much more comfortable experience to the average driver. I'm sure most 21+ full-size V8 SUV buyers value that to some extent because it's certainly not about economy when the mid-size market offers just as many creature comforts for far less of a price point.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that many people trade it worn out cars they didn’t take care of, a new car almost always feels better to your average driver. They’ll argue to the death when I say my 2008 rides better than the new ones after I replaced every suspension part with new OEM (except the lowering springs for the rear and the sway bars) and put Michelins on it. The new ones handle better and the electric power steering feels different but you still feel every bump on the road even with air suspension. That isn’t $100k vehicle for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rarelyseen