Lift gate glass blowout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 Yukon Denali. It's only about 82 degrees outside. Love my vehicle but while backing into parking space and putting into park all of a sudden it sounded like someone dumped a load of gravel stone on the back of my vehicle. I never use the glass release on the liftgate and it just blew out into pieces for no apparent reason. Yes insurance covers it but the thought of, "what if", the glass had come into the third row seat? Crazy. Of course all my groceries had to be removed while outside because glass was in the bags. There should be better testing on every glass put into new vehicles especially when they cost upward of a hundred thousand.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2021 Yukon Denali. It's only about 82 degrees outside. Love my vehicle but while backing into parking space and putting into park all of a sudden it sounded like someone dumped a load of gravel stone on the back of my vehicle. I never use the glass release on the liftgate and it just blew out into pieces for no apparent reason. Yes insurance covers it but the thought of, "what if", the glass had come into the third row seat? Crazy. Of course all my groceries had to be removed while outside because glass was in the bags. There should be better testing on every glass put into new vehicles especially when they cost upward of a hundred thousand.
it's safety glass your fine, it's not like regular glass that could cut your arm open
sometimes it happens, usually it's sunroof glass that randomly shatters.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A similar thing happened with our 2007 Denali. Wife was driving to work and heard an odd noise and when she looked in her rear view mirror, the back glass was fading like when Thanos snapped his fingers.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A similar thing happened with our 2007 Denali. Wife was driving to work and heard an odd noise and when she looked in her rear view mirror, the back glass was fading like when Thanos snapped his fingers.
i have had the rear hatch glass get broken twice, both times I had tint applied so it stayed together sort of, 1 was a attempted break in a parking lot and the other was a bb gun shot at 3am, which was probably another attempt at breaking in or just random. someone came down the street last year and slashed like 4 peoples car tires but I think that was someone mad at someone else and they made a attempt to make it look random because 3 of cars belonged to the same household.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely a defective glass that was not properly tempered during its manufacture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Denali21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it's safety glass your fine, it's not like regular glass that could cut your arm open
sometimes it happens, usually it's sunroof glass that randomly shatters.
I hope it never happens to the sunroof. Sounds like 2 tons of gravel stones being dumped.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to close my '09's rear glass one winter night, but it just wasn't latching. On the 3rd attempt in shattered into a million pieces. That wasn't awesome. But I think Safelite replaced it the next day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz