Long Travel Air Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DBCox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I found you guys through a different forum that directed me here. I have searched the forum and didn't find anything, but please forgive me if I missed something that has already been posted.

I am looking for what I am guessing will be considered a long travel air suspension for a 2016 Yukon XL. Basically, I want to maintain stock ride height (maybe even level the front by lifting 2" above factory), but be able to lower the truck when parked until the rear axle touches the frame. From what I can gather, that will be a 7-8" drop. The front will probably be around 6" of drop if I don't level it by lifting the front, or 7-8" if I do level it.

The ideal situation will be a kit of course. However, I haven't had any luck finding one that will give me that much travel. Before I move to a full-blown custom setup, I wanted to ask what is out there that I could use in whole, or in part, to achieve my goal.

To give you some background, I did this to a 2006 2500HD, but I built air struts with Fox Shocks. To handle the weight of the Duramax, we used dual 6" Slam Specialties bags (one mounted on each side of the shock rod) via brackets sliding over the shock. That setup was nice in that it didn't require drilling a hole through the bag and sealing it to the shock body to create a conventional strut, but it took up a lot of room that required custom mounts above the control arm. Since the Yukons/Suburbans have coilovers already, the better option is to use the factory mounting locations, rather than fabbing all the structure above the control arms. This of course means I have to find/build an airshock/strut capable of handling the load and stroke that will fit within the envelope of the factory coil over.

It appears Kelderman used to make a conversion kit to use the factory shock with a special airbag. However, that doesn't seem to be available anymore, and I couldn't find any information on travel or built in static drop.

The rear I think will be easier, assuming the longer stroke bags don't end up being too large in diameter to fit inside the frame rails like the factory coil springs do.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas_Made