Need opinions on keeping or moving on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hickman92

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As some of y’all know I have a 2003 GMC Yukon SLT, salvage title with 244k miles. I’ve enjoyed owning it and it’s in decent condition.I want everyone’s thoughts on keeping or selling. Recently I’ve developed hard shifts out of first gear, so I’m sure trans is going to be needing a rebuild soon. Front suspension needs rebuilt, ac doesn’t work, climate controls need replaced. Needs tires and today the rear main started puking oil. Do I cut my loss and take what I can get or should I keep putting money into it?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that if you are asking this question, you really like the truck. If not, replace may be your best option.

First, decide 'if' you replace it, what would you replace it with. That will give you an idea of what your budget would need to be.

Then, price out what you would need to do to get the truck back into good working condition. This assumes that the motor is working well, and there is no significant rust on the truck.

Now you have a factual basis from which to make your decision.

OP
OP
H

Hickman92

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm assuming that if you are asking this question, you really like the truck. If not, replace may be your best option.

First, decide 'if' you replace it, what would you replace it with. That will give you an idea of what your budget would need to be.

Then, price out what you would need to do to get the truck back into good working condition. This assumes that the motor is working well, and there is no significant rust on the truck.

Now you have a factual basis from which to make your decision.
I do like this truck and it doesn’t have any rust. However everything is adding up, especially to get the truck where I want it to be. It’s to the point I’m not sure if I’d be better off starting over with something entirely or keeping with the known issues. I can do a lot of the work myself, I just don’t have the facility’s to be pulling transmissions. We all know how pricy that can be.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
used transmission from wrecking yard
do rear main while swapping trans
get ac parts from said wrecking yard as well
do front end parts as you can, you can find newer one's in the junkyard too. I don't how many times I scored brand new looking stuff out of a junkyard

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some of y’all know I have a 2003 GMC Yukon SLT, salvage title with 244k miles. I’ve enjoyed owning it and it’s in decent condition.I want everyone’s thoughts on keeping or selling. Recently I’ve developed hard shifts out of first gear, so I’m sure trans is going to be needing a rebuild soon. Front suspension needs rebuilt, ac doesn’t work, climate controls need replaced. Needs tires and today the rear main started puking oil. Do I cut my loss and take what I can get or should I keep putting money into it?
It's almost always less expensive in the long run to repair an older vehicle that you've cared for than to buy a new one, if you can do the work yourself. If it's in good cosmetic shape and still meets your mission requirements, then the smart money is on repairing. Especially because yours is the 800 generation - one of the most reliable and durable vehicles ever made. And you have the skills to do the work.

To think of it another way: You're going to spend probably $30K+ to buy a replacement 2018+ rig with 100K on the clock. Before long it will need attention if it doesn't right away, not to mention the 8%+ interest on any money you borrow. No idea how old you are, but let's say you're 35 and plan to retire in 30 years. That $30K will be worth $300K if you can earn even 8% interest on that money. I've been lucky and able to average 10% for the last 20 years.

This is why I keep driving the '07 and '12 I have. They fit my mission requirements, have 100% dispatch and trip reliability (fingers crossed), and they are paid for. The '07 is now fully depreciated so every day it keeps me from spending money on a new car, I'm money ahead. In the last year, I've put in a new radiator, a new front hub, new front brakes and resealed the oil cooler block off plate...maybe $700 in parts while putting 12K on it. Compare that with the $1,800 interest + $4,200 principal I would have paid on a $25K loan. Can't beat it.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At 244k miles on the engine, depending on how many miles you put on a truck in a year, the engine is creeping up on it's usual life span. That is another major expense. I love my GMT800 and if I had yours, I would stick with that series. IMO, with all the work needed and knowing you will find more if you get in to the repairs, I would consider purchasing a new to you GMT800. I have found many things at salvage yards that meet my needs but IMO again, what you have is already used parts. Prices for used vehicles are creeping down and some people are hard up for money. I would consider do a far reaching search for another GMT800 for a decent price with lower mileage. Since you can do a lot of the work yourself, that is a plus. But like you, even though I have the knowledge and tools, if I needed a transmission, I would be paying to have it done. If you go with searching for a replacement, you need to make sure you have inspection done to see what is needed.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see quite a few for sale here in Florida...... But many need cosmetic work.
My only thought is newer versions are EXPENSIVE.

Sometimes you get lucky.... My boss/friend sold his Grey 2016 Yukon for $12,000. It needed some regular "TLC", but it was nice, to me..... But, I already love my '05.
I was at the Barrett Jackson auction, a few weeks ago, and saw a unicorn.. An '01 Sierra/ one owner/ always garaged/ red/ showroom condition/ never driven in the rain. 15,000 miles. It sold for $25,000.... the seller hoped for $15,000. I told him he'll get over $20,00.

If you budget your truck to fix..... compare the cost verses a replacement...
But I bet you can find one for less than $10,000 I have seen them online for sale.

Attachments

• 2001 Silverado : 15,000 miles.jpg
    2001 Silverado : 15,000 miles.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 3

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to answer the question without knowing the condition of the truck and capabilities of the OP.

A few examples and personal experiences:

One of my kids' classmates' dad has on 03 Tahoe with the 4.8. We know the family for years now. He's got nearly 400k on it. He did tell me it will burn a bit of oil if he uses it for heavy towing. I've seen the truck on the carpool lane and it's freaking clean! He's taken good care of it, and it shows. Transmission was rebuilt once. We were talking recently and he said he's interested in getting his engine overhauled.

Another former co-worker had a Tahoe, also 03 with the 4.8. He passed it on to his DIL and it had close to 400k. They eventually divorced and the girl kept it. Last he heard she was still driving it, over 400k. Original transmission on that one! Unbelievable!

My buddy has 01 Silverado RCSB 4.3 he bought new out of HS. Over 400k. Also original engine and transmission! His brother had bought a similar truck, a 2003 model. He got hit on the bed and my buddy bought it from him and replaced the bed/axle and that one is I believe also around the 400k mark. He takes care of them. Even washes/waxes them weekly.

My 99 Silverado made it to 260k on the original 4.3 engine. I retired it because I needed more space for dropping my kids off school. The engine had developed low oil pressure. I considered selling it for cheap. Truck was in very good condition otherwise. I eventually swapped a $500 5.3 and it's a reliable truck again. I've put about 12k since the swap. I've actually gotten offers from guys asking if I want to sell it when I wash it and put shiny stuff on the tires. :)

I just finished reinstalling the engine on my 06 Suburban daily driver. It had an intermittent lifter tick at 262k that was bugging me. $1400 or so for a basic refreshing: piston rings, bearings, gaskets, etc. It was my first engine overhaul. I hope to get another 100,000 miles+.

So, these vehicles are definitely capable of staying on the road for a long time and very economical to repair.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 244k miles on the engine, depending on how many miles you put on a truck in a year, the engine is creeping up on it's usual life span. That is another major expense. I love my GMT800 and if I had yours, I would stick with that series. IMO, with all the work needed and knowing you will find more if you get in to the repairs, I would consider purchasing a new to you GMT800. I have found many things at salvage yards that meet my needs but IMO again, what you have is already used parts. Prices for used vehicles are creeping down and some people are hard up for money. I would consider do a far reaching search for another GMT800 for a decent price with lower mileage. Since you can do a lot of the work yourself, that is a plus. But like you, even though I have the knowledge and tools, if I needed a transmission, I would be paying to have it done. If you go with searching for a replacement, you need to make sure you have inspection done to see what is needed.
NAW, for less than $1000 the vehicle can be back on the road and running just like it has been, anything else is a gamble for MORE money.
a used 4l60 is around $600-650 with a 30 days warranty all day long
hell there is a yard here that will pull the old one install the used one with fresh fluid & filter for $800 with a 90 days warranty.
that's what I did with my 03 with 284k on it in 2016, sold it to my sister in 2018 and she's still driving it