New Akebono pads squealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped out my rear Wagner fleet pads as they were nearing the last 25% for the Akebono 1194. I did not realize the new pads came without hardware...(sigh) but my old hardware seemed good. I needed the 1194A.

When I installed them, I noticed the fit was a little sloppy in the hardware. My hardware was still good so I went with that. After a few days they started squealing alot. I reached out to Rockauto and they sent me a fresh set with hardware...props to them trying to help.

However same deal, good bit of squeal, I thought maybe my caliper bracket was worn, but the last 2 sets of pads fit perfectly, also when I reinstalled the fleet pads, they fit perfectly.

This was the difference in the mounting tabs, quite a difference, Akebono on bottom.

Screenshot_20240507_192035_Gallery.jpg

Also, with my caliper, they measured about .5 MM shorter compared to the Wagner pads, this was verified by Akebono that they are indeed .4 MM shorter.

Screenshot_20240507_192105_Gallery.jpg

That's a good bit of play, and they really rattle around in the caliper.

Has anyone had similiar issues?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, this is why I stick with GM OE, even OE suppliers like Wagner and Akebono can make things a little different on their own line of parts.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Play between the pad and the caliper is definitely not normal and not good.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Play between the pad and the caliper is definitely not normal and not good.
Yeah, I was surprised to find all the play.

Video starts with left to right, then up and down. Two different sets of Akebono pads did this, OE and Wagners fit perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pawaso