New to me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_Barry_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello
I purchased a 2018 Yukon XL Denali with 150K just a year ago. It replaces my more aged fleet - 2004 Suburban Z/71 with 315K and a 2006 Avalanche with 305K. Still have those two but will probably sell the Suburban soon.

Love the car. I've had Jeep Grand Wagoneers (2), Suburbans (3), a couple trucks including the Avalanche, and now the GMC. It has all the bells and whistles the others don't have, but my main reason for getting the GMC Denali is the 6.2 engine which has quite a bit more power than the 5.3 IMO.

I'm still shocked at how quite the car is at 80mph on the interstate. Noticeably quieter than anything else.

Like most people I think, you join a forum for troubleshooting help, I'm the same and will post up my problem in the drivetrain section :)

Regards,
Barry

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello
I purchased a 2018 Yukon XL Denali with 150K just a year ago. It replaces my more aged fleet - 2004 Suburban Z/71 with 315K and a 2006 Avalanche with 305K. Still have those two but will probably sell the Suburban soon.

Love the car. I've had Jeep Grand Wagoneers (2), Suburbans (3), a couple trucks including the Avalanche, and now the GMC. It has all the bells and whistles the others don't have, but my main reason for getting the GMC Denali is the 6.2 engine which has quite a bit more power than the 5.3 IMO.

I'm still shocked at how quite the car is at 80mph on the interstate. Noticeably quieter than anything else.

Like most people I think, you join a forum for troubleshooting help, I'm the same and will post up my problem in the drivetrain section :)

Regards,
Barry
Welcome Barry from Florida!

Did you modify any of the trucks in any way? Ever take them off-roading and such? How are the older ones holding up after 20 years and 300K miles?

OP
OP
B

_Barry_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
"Did you modify any of the trucks in any way? Ever take them off-roading and such? How are the older ones holding up after 20 years and 300K miles?"

swathdiver, the Suburban and Avalanche are holding up really well. Both purchased used, the Sub with 200k and the Avalanche with 230K. Both had had nothing more than routine maintenance done to them. Nothing unusual, just oil/filter/plug changes on both plus an alternator on the Suburban.

No mods, but I do drive them in the sand on Hatteras Island of North Carolina routinely. I have a 2nd home there. Here is the Suburban on the beach a couple years ago. Hatteras Island has deep soft sand and the locking rear is a nice option.

Resized Sub.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 2

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Colorado!

Here's a tip to be sure your intended parties see that you mentioned them: either use the "Reply" button and insert their quote into your new post, or type the "@" symbol and start typing the username you wish to tag. Like this: @swathdiver -- type that and a list of matching usernames will show up. Select the correct one.

1713060107542.png

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Did you modify any of the trucks in any way? Ever take them off-roading and such? How are the older ones holding up after 20 years and 300K miles?"

swathdiver, the Suburban and Avalanche are holding up really well. Both purchased used, the Sub with 200k and the Avalanche with 230K. Both had had nothing more than routine maintenance done to them. Nothing unusual, just oil/filter/plug changes on both plus an alternator on the Suburban.

No mods, but I do drive them in the sand on Hatteras Island of North Carolina routinely. I have a 2nd home there. Here is the Suburban on the beach a couple years ago. Hatteras Island has deep soft sand and the locking rear is a nice option.

View attachment 426054
Great looking 'burb and love the fishing rig. Love that green color! We used to surf fish a lot when the kids were little and my health allowed it. My wife enjoys driving on the beach so once a year or so we spend a few days in Daytona Beach so she can get her fill of it. I like it too but am the one who cleans up afterwards! LOL

OP
OP
B

_Barry_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks swathdiver!
I've been a surf fisherman since birth, 71 years ago :) Mostly along the Outer Banks of NC but occasionally in SC, Georgia, and Florida.

I looked for that green on a well kept Suburban withing a decent distance of my home for over a year. Easy to find a black, white, or silver one. It replaced my 93 teal Suburban. For the Avalanche I wanted an even rarer color, Bermuda Blue Metallic. That took me a couple years to find in good condition and close enough, pic below taken at Cape Point. If you look at the map of NC and the coast, you see the point where the barrier island cuts sharply back to the SW and that is Cape Point. The famous Hatteras Lighthouse is very close.

IMG_4892.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tspjim