no 2nd gear after rebuild, then no 4th after fixing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackFox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1997 Yukon 5.7L 4WD 4L60E

Also, first gear and reverse slip. Reverse slips bad. First gear slips a bit than engages full after getting going. But let me go ahead and explain the entire situation.

So my brother's 1997 Yukon tranny gets noisy. I am a master ASE tech, working for myself. I don't rebuild, but figured I would try it out since I did do it in school (16 years ago) and we got youtube! No reason not to try. Did a ford tranny in an F150 2 years ago. Went well. So I go ahead and pull it, found no issue. Figured the noise was internal converter or the input shaft thrust bearing. Either way, that all got replaced. Did a deluxe kit from Remco. It had something burned up and the rest of the clutches were fine. Used to remember what was burned up.... but I forget now. Did the clutch apply tests through the valve body at about 40-50 psi on my air hose. Everything good. All clearances were within specification. Except the servo. Needed the longer pin. 1 ring for shorty. 2 rings for mid-pin (the usual size seen in stock units) and then the no-ring longer pin. SPec is .075"-.125" of movement as seen from the cover. I had a quarter inch. Good enough for a test drive though! Didn't have second gear. No pressure reading in my maxisys tool. Must be the pin. Took valve body down to go over my work, nothing wrong at all. cleaned it all up, packed the checkball spots with blue assembly goo with a ball in each. seven spots. eighth spot in trans (assembly goo VERY important now haha!) with balls 9, 10, and 11 in retainers. All balls g2g. OK. Cool. Reinstalled everything and pan. Take out servo. Half a seal falls out (omg lol) so that answers that no second gear thing. Install new vette pistons and longer pin. Now within spec. Refill trans and run in air. in 2wd. Goes through 4 distinct gears. Test drive and find reverse to be slipping bad. go back forward and forward slipping bad! Figured that assembly lube might be holding the balls in place. I know that goo needs about 90F to dissolve. They were not exactly in the direct path of fluid flow so maybe it all needs to dissolve. Idle 15 minutes. Test drive. First gear slips a little and you can feel it 100% kick-in after moving a bit and getting RPMs up. Second gear works. 3rd. no 4th. Must have felt TCC lockup with it in the air earlier. Reverse not slipping as bad, but still slipping. And way worse that first gear.

So I pulled this truck off to the side to get some other jobs done. Especially his 1999 lifted yukon with burning oil issue. Figured before I go back into it I would ask to see if there was something that is obvious to you guys that I could have possibly done with the valve body to cause this. If I had only touched the servo after not having 2nd gear, this would all work fine with that 2nd gear servo piston seal replaced along with proper sized pin. What could I have done wrong? Will be working on it again on friday.... no. Saturday. I'll go ahead and skim the forum for a few and help out where I can since I am coming here brand new and asking for value :)

OP
OP
J

JackFox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
3 to kick down valve head no clip in it and was pushed out of its bore from the pressure... Don't know how I missed a clip. So then it does something where fluid pressure is different on the 1-2 shift valve and there you go!

Timbers68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So did installing a retaining clip fix your first and reverse slipping problem?

You may have cut a seal on the low/reverse piston, the first thing that goes into the case.

What problems with the trans if any are you still having?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavychevyvito