No Power To Half The Car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandonshane74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
07 Yukon Denali. I took the battery out for a side project and put it back in and now I only have power to a few things. Battery was only out for 2 hours and car ran great before that. Only things that work are front windows, radio, dash warning lights, HVAC, running light and other some things. No brake lights, side steps won’t retract, no dome or dash lights, no start, rear windows won’t work, no door lock, key fob will not work. I’m getting power to mega fuse and to fuse block. About 11.50v - 11.75v. I’ve tried to add ground wire from firewall to block also to rule out bad ground. Also hooked up battery charger. Where can I start to track down or did I over look a small detail?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Where was the side project at? That is low voltage at the battery. Battery removed typically means you wanted to be sure there was no power thru the rig during the project. You need to double check all fuses and relays.

OP
OP
Brandonshane74

Brandonshane74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Where was the side project at? That is low voltage at the battery. Battery removed typically means you wanted to be sure there was no power thru the rig during the project. You need to double check all fuses and relays.
I have another Denali the same year that I wanted to put my good battery in to rule out a problem with it. I also put the throttle body and MAF sensor on the other car. When I was done I put all parts back on my good car and wasn’t able to start. I’m not getting 12v to those fuses of the things that are not working.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
disconnect the battery again and check your battery cables and ground wires, after you have done that hook the battery up again and be sure the battery terminal connectors are clean and tight.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Yukon Denali. I took the battery out for a side project and put it back in and now I only have power to a few things. Battery was only out for 2 hours and car ran great before that. Only things that work are front windows, radio, dash warning lights, HVAC, running light and other some things. No brake lights, side steps won’t retract, no dome or dash lights, no start, rear windows won’t work, no door lock, key fob will not work. I’m getting power to mega fuse and to fuse block. About 11.50v - 11.75v. I’ve tried to add ground wire from firewall to block also to rule out bad ground. Also hooked up battery charger. Where can I start to track down or did I over look a small detail?

Lots of things won't work with voltages that low. Take the battery out and charge it up or give the car a jump.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

The folks above have given you great advice as a starting point for your troubleshooting. As stated above, low voltage can create havoc on the electrical systems of these trucks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I believe it was low voltage. Feel kinda dumb but let it charge over night and it fired up.

Great!! So many of us preach basics first. The heart of your electrical system is that battery. If it is old enough you should change it. Did you say how old it is? I don't remember.

When you did the switch, if the battery was fully charged from your rig's alternator, then if it was only out of the vehicle for a day or two it should have been ok if connections were good and the battery was in good shape. If was away from the charging alternator for a long enough period of time, then that could explain it but if the battery is old enough it should be replaced. They never quit working at a GOOD time.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it was low voltage. Feel kinda dumb but let it charge over night and it fired up.
That is good news.

Many times, the simplest explanation is the correct explanation.

You just got some experience. Like I say in my signature, "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted". What I don't say is that you always get it at least 30 seconds after you needed it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't feel dumb, but instead feel educated and/or enlightened. This is what this Forum does best.

Your time to return the favor of knowledge transfer will come, as you participate more fully in the discussions on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesj82