OEM Clone Headlight HID/Projector Retrofit Project [video update]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell you without the HIDs because the hardware came as a package:

I'll give you the quote I got from theretrofitsource.com, the hardware I ended up going with isn't exactly the same but close enough.

"Main projector: OEM FX35 bi-xenon w/ FX-R clear lens
Secondary inner projector: Morimoto Mini H1 bi-xenon
Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five 35w for both
Shrouds: E46-R Extended for main + E46-R regular for inner
Bulbs: Morimoto 3Five 5000K D2S for main and Morimoto 3Five 5000K H1 for inner
Wiring: 2x H11 relay harnesses + 9005 to dual solenoid splitters to make quad high beams work
Total price = $590 total shipped"

I went with some slightly higher end stuff so my hardware package came out closer to $650.

Add to that $150 for the aftermarket clone housings.
Another $125 for the V-led quad switchbacks and load resistors
And a good 10hrs of retro and install labor.

You end up around $1500

But if you don't go for the quads or all the led switchbacks but instead go down the road of the single low beam projector retrofit (like the pic I posted above), you can probably cut all that by a little more than half.

Last edited:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll stick to blinding people....lol

but then again, some people think dropping $6K+ on wheels and tires is crazy.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll stick to blinding people....lol

but then again, some people think dropping $6K+ on wheels and tires is crazy.

My retro = 1 of your rims sans tire. :)

That looks really Nice...and clean....subtle goes along way ;)

Thanks Jason, that's what think too. Mine will basically look the same (shrouds are more 'low key') but with two projectors in each housing. My ocd precluded two different lenses in one housing. :)

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yowsers... I might have to be w supercharged on this one.. Ill drop $$ on wheels because it makes such a drastic difference, but on lighting... thats a hard pill to swallow:( Looks awesome though! I might just stick to my HID kit and call it a day. I see great with it btw:)

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yowsers... I might have to be w supercharged on this one.. Ill drop $$ on wheels because it makes such a drastic difference, but on lighting... thats a hard pill to swallow:( Looks awesome though! I might just stick to my HID kit and call it a day. I see great with it btw:)

As you know car/truck mods can get as expensive as one wants ... I've seen 24" wheel/tire packages for less than $1k, and some at $10k +.

Same with lighting ... within the retrofit mod one can go as low as $300/400 to much more than I'm spending. Heck I almost pulled the trigger on S2000 projector inners which will light up a clean cutoff at 50 yards with no wash and no blinding. That would have taken it up to $2k ... after testing the quad output I decided more was not needed, but again more could be had.

Labor is half the cost, so if you have time and a little skill you can have our setup for around $700 including a new set of housings. If you do the work yourself on just the lows like pictured above you can do it for around $400.

Like I said, like on any mod, how much one is willing to spend is a personal choice and will always be relative to how much one cares about that element of their ride, I completely understand and respect if others see no value in this mod. :waytogo:

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The day is finally upon us ... meeting up in a couple of hours for the final install.

I may have pics later. :)

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Hard to tell you without the HIDs because the hardware came as a package:

I'll give you the quote I got from theretrofitsource.com, the hardware I ended up going with isn't exactly the same but close enough.

"Main projector: OEM FX35 bi-xenon w/ FX-R clear lens
Secondary inner projector: Morimoto Mini H1 bi-xenon
Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five 35w for both
Shrouds: E46-R Extended for main + E46-R regular for inner
Bulbs: Morimoto 3Five 5000K D2S for main and Morimoto 3Five 5000K H1 for inner
Wiring: 2x H11 relay harnesses + 9005 to dual solenoid splitters to make quad high beams work
Total price = $590 total shipped"

I went with some slightly higher end stuff so my hardware package came out closer to $650.

Add to that $150 for the aftermarket clone housings.
Another $125 for the V-led quad switchbacks and load resistors
And a good 10hrs of retro and install labor.

You end up around $1500

But if you don't go for the quads or all the led switchbacks but instead go down the road of the single low beam projector retrofit (like the pic I posted above), you can probably cut all that by a little more than half.

Yeouch. I did the work myself so really it cost me time and parts. I spend about half of the cost of your build list. As for the reflector Serge, I ended up Drilling 3 holes for the Light to shine through for the side marker light. If you want some sort of reflector, You can go to a autostore, or marine store, get some reflective tape and cut a thin strip or Piece off and put it on the reflector. Other than that It looks great. I have People asking me iif my truck is a actual 2011 SS truck.

picture.php

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phew, it is done.