OTA Update on 2021 Yukon Denali seems to have bricked my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmybeers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A couple days ago I received an OTA update for my 2021 Yukon Denali. The next day I did a quick start to move the truck into the driveway. It didn't start the first try, had to give it a second push which never has happened. I later got a service now diagnostic email about the airbag system needing immediate service. The day after that, the truck would not start at all and I was getting a low battery alert on the dash along with a bunch of other error messages.

I had AAA come out and jump the car, it was able to start (needed more than the 1200 amp portable jumper he had) and I thought I was good to go. I get in the truck and I can't get it out of park any longer, like the emergency brake is locked. I can shift to D and N but it doesn't go anywhere. The parking light is flashing and now the check engine light is on.

I'm waiting for roadside assistance for a tow to the dealer now, but was curious if this sounded familiar to anyone?

I'm speculating that the battery was drained mid update and something got corrupted during the software update. Everything was completely fine before the update.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 8.27.06 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 8.27.06 AM copy.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
J

jimmybeers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
one interesting update is road assistance came to tow the car to the dealer and he was able to get it the parking brake off by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to get the computer system to reboot. After that I was able to drive it to the dealer. He also did me a solid and followed me just in case.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one interesting update is road assistance came to tow the car to the dealer and he was able to get it the parking brake off by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to get the computer system to reboot. After that I was able to drive it to the dealer. He also did me a solid and followed me just in case.
There is a 10mm wrench (negative battery terminal size) in the back of mine with the spare tire tools.

J Robinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, I have been a member of this forum for the last several years, I never know at this point, but anyway, just did my OTA on my 2021 GMC Yukon XL AT4 (5.3), The screen request told me to do several things before the upgrade and also the upgrade may take as much as 60 mins, so I started my upgrade at my house and requested 'Alexa' to start a timer in the house for 30 mins. Went back out after 35/40 mins. truck started right up without issue, now I have NOT taken it out for a drive yet. Does anybody know what updates they are giving us, I know it stated if I DIDN'T allow the OTA upgrade to take place I would NOT be able to get upgrades in future this way. I wanted to add a pic on my ride here, but ihave unable to locate the jpg :(

OP
OP
J

jimmybeers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE: the dealer inspected and cleared all the engine codes. They're best guess is my battery has been slow failing for a while. It only will take half the charge it's supposed to. They replaced the battery and everything seems to be good to go again, no errors/issues.

So perhaps it was too low to complete the OTA update, stalled halfway through and got the system in a bad state which caused the other issues.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM should just include a 10mm in the glove box marked "reset tool" because your going to need it
your driving around in a 4 wheeled computer with software that isn't quite right yet with no redundancy other than if you loose power you can still steer it and brake (sort of).

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM should just include a 10mm in the glove box marked "reset tool" because your going to need it
your driving around in a 4 wheeled computer with software that isn't quite right yet with no redundancy other than if you loose power you can still steer it and brake (sort of).
Yup, GM not what I think of as top tier IT organization…but that’s what we need!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aljaroudi

Latest posts