Parts list for AFM 6.0L LFA engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need a parts list for my 6.0L AFM system rebuild I can't do a tune since i don't know anyshop that would do that

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you pulled a cover to make sure a lifter is stuck down?

if so I'd personally try to release it in our trucks before replacing everything. if you get it popped up, turn it off in the tune correctly. block off the oil supply and vent the back flow and hope it holds.

at worse, cam, only oem or millings lifters, new vlom cover with new solenoids. inspect cam bearings while apart for anything that would lower oil pressure to the lifters. if the cam lobes look perfect, that's your call to skip replacing it. at this point I'm curious if you can even find a new oem cam to out in it.

if you have any doubts about oil pressure, maybe replace the afm bypass valve in the pan. I doubt it's needed thou.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you anywhere near Michigan? go buy this one and swap the engine and battery into yours?

around here I've seen a few crashed up hybrid part outs on Facebook. you might find one local and just get a new running engine for cheaper than rebuilding use? then disable afm?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The exact same 6.0L motor without AFM is the L96 from the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks. Later motors are also e85 and all L96 are aluminum head and iron block. You’d use the same ECM and simply install a device to turn off the AFM because the L96 doesn’t have that hardware.

It would add about 86-90lb to the weight of the truck though :)

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exact same 6.0L motor without AFM is the L96 from the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks. Later motors are also e85 and all L96 are aluminum head and iron block. You’d use the same ECM and simply install a device to turn off the AFM because the L96 doesn’t have that hardware.

sadly you can not run these trucks on anything but this ecm. it's a 67A ecm, used only in these hybrids, nothing else. they have to talk to the rest of the systems, it's said the TCM actually controls the truck unlike most most vehicles where the engine ecm kinda runs things.

e85 is more in the ecm than the hardware, without the ability to calculate alcohol %, which I'm 99% sure the 67A can't do either by sensor or math based off the o2's. e85 isn't going to happen.

this ecm has almost nothing defined in hptuners. you get a drop down box to enable or disable afm. oddly labeled backwards, so most people don't think it works. a speed adjustment gear wise. 2 timing tables, but the scanner side doesn't even have the timing retard pid, so you can't effectively even tune timing. zero maf or ve fueling table. Just a pe mode target a/f. without ve, you can't tune for a cam shaft change.

all this is in the ecm, it's just no defined. which is where the time and money is spend on hp side. so you can't adjust what isn't defined. I've asked for at least the retard pid to be added to the scanner, as I have the pid data and it works in torque app. hp tuners hasn't even replied to my request and they do not allow user added pids to scanner, but for 160$ they will let you add definitions to the editor side. but that's very difficult and above my head to disassemble code and map a ecm. (funny it requires a software called tuner pro that was written by the diy obd1 guys 30plus years ago using email chains. they laid the ground work for all of this and never saw a dime) hp does not support this ecm beyond what's there now.

the cam thing is interesting. so here's the thing. it's not a cam that would even run right in a normal ls. it's a derivative of the Miller cycle engine. late intake closing in gm speak. the theory is they hang the intake valve open a little longer to flow some fresh air thru the cyl and out the exhaust. giving more efficient burn at mid rpm, says 1800-2500, where the tranny that's almost a cvt can keep it 80% of the time. below that it gives up a ton of torque off idle and would feel horrible in a normal engine. but to help they bumped up the static compression ratio and gave it electric motors to get moving below 30mph.

so if you stick a standard truck non afm cam in it that wouldn't require tuning normally in it, I don't know how it will run and I've searched the internet a lot. don't know anyone that has tried it. since if it didn't work, the tuning capability isn't there to adjust it so you'd have to redo it all again with oem cam and afm. that and honestly these hybrid trucks are mostly 1 time use throw away when they break. most shops think they can't touch anything with a battery in it these days. so you can hardly find a shop willing to do a afm delete that isn't just a engine change on a normal ls, throw in the hybrid symbol on the fender and everyone runs away like it's going to ****** them and the type of guy that bought a new hybrid truck isn't someone that is normally a mechanic.

they have become disposable at the slightest repair needed. which is sadly what I think is going to happen to this one. all it probably needs is a lifter released, block the oil supply to it and disable in the tune. but I have doubts

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think one of those is for removing the lifter if it's stuck in the bore and the 2nd is part of a slim jim door lock opener kit. AK42-MEGA KIT

you need the one that you pull the intake off, it goes down a oil hole to the stuck lifter and you smack it with a hammer. it you're lucky it will jar the lifter body enough the inner collapsed afm part will pop up and re lock. if it works you then need to make sure oil pressure never gets to the activation port again, or it will stick the first time 4cyl mod kicks in.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
67A ecm is the only one 'allowed' to cooperate with that Allison tcm.

For more compression, use the Gen3 4.8L / 5.3L pope hat heads, sell the Gen4 pope hat heads for a profit.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

L96 is a different engine
from the LFA engine

it has a different camshaft

compression ratio is different as well 9.6 VS 10.7:1 which is why i put 91 octane and it gets better gas mpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK