Passenger AC -- not as cold (but not hot)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.

8 years ago I had the one side hot the other cold with the A/C on, so I replaced driver blend door -- the one that you remove the hush panel and it's in front of the center console way back there. Ice cold on DS.

Now I have an odd problem. The passenger side doesn't blow nearly as cold NOR as forceful. It's not like it's blowing full hot - I need to get a thermometer on it but I'd guess maybe 10* warmer and not near as strong. Is this the temp actuator for passenger side -- the one under the duct that's hard to get to (some take dash all the way out)?

Also -- any ideas on part numbers? I've got the dual climate auto/electric controls with rear AC (CJ2, C36, C69). The driver one I replaced using a Dorman 604-106. Not sure If I should go Dorman again or Delco. I'm finding 15-72971 on Delco.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I've gone through the recalibration numerous times with no luck.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You are asking opinions of which blend door or actuator but giving no year, make or model. I am not gonna look at every option for 2000 to 2006 Tahoe/Yukon. If I had my choice I always use AC Delco. The blend door appears to not be moving a full sweep and could be being blocked by something. I have taken apart dashes and found items blocking door movements because people throw stuff up on the dash all the time and items fall in there. RA does show the actuator part #15-72971.

OP
OP
mattbta

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoops. Left out year. 2004.

Do you think it's the temp actuator or air inlet actuator?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WAG, temp actuator but I would also be aware of movement blockage.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=452286&cc=1424247&jsn=2279

@swathdiver had responded to another a/c problem thread and had said something about a diagnostic set up that would pin point the problem. Hopefully he refreshes my memory by replying here.

Hi, all.

8 years ago I had the one side hot the other cold with the A/C on, so I replaced driver blend door -- the one that you remove the hush panel and it's in front of the center console way back there. Ice cold on DS.

Now I have an odd problem. The passenger side doesn't blow nearly as cold NOR as forceful. It's not like it's blowing full hot - I need to get a thermometer on it but I'd guess maybe 10* warmer and not near as strong. Is this the temp actuator for passenger side -- the one under the duct that's hard to get to (some take dash all the way out)?

Also -- any ideas on part numbers? I've got the dual climate auto/electric controls with rear AC (CJ2, C36, C69). The driver one I replaced using a Dorman 604-106. Not sure If I should go Dorman again or Delco. I'm finding 15-72971 on Delco.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I've gone through the recalibration numerous times with no luck.

Ron, in the other guy's case, the tool would be VXDIAG NANO with GDS software. That would work with Tech2WIN here or use a Tech-2, two different generation trucks with different software to talk to their computers.

The problem certainly seems like the passenger side temperature actuator and the part number is correct, 15-72971, which is the same for my 2009.

I would gather that the OP needs more than one. All of mine have thrown codes at one time or another and we're slowly replacing them. Boy let me tell ya, a fresh actuator makes the cabin cold! Probably save gas mileage too.

OP
OP
mattbta

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to suck it up and get one and install. I think I'll try this approach instead of pulling the dash:

And also suck it up and get a tech2 clone. I keep saying that...it's been like 3-4 years now but I'm a cheap bastard. Also got done replacing all sorts of stuff due to Castech cracked heads...so the cheap bastard wins for the moment...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesj82