Pirelli AS plus 3 vs Michelin Defenders LTX M/S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any rubbing, or did you have to do some trimming to the plastic liners?
No rubbing. I did insert a couple of push pins along the bottom of the liners in the front on both sides, so that they were flat against that plastic honeycomb backing.

rbromm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How wide are your wheels, or are they the stock 8.5"
Not totally positive but believe they are wider. The tread width is 10” on the ground. The main issue is the aspect ratio of 45. Skinny sidewalls transmit every road imperfection plus curbs can easily damage the rims. Already had to repair one for scraping a curb. The larger sidewalls the stock 20” wheels afford a much smoother ride and also protect the rims better. My other car is a Corvette with 285/35R19 tires on it and it actually rides better than my Yukon.

shekmark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing missing from this discussion that is highly relevant, is the wheel size. If you have larger wheels than stock or even the larger 22" wheels offered by GM, it will make a huge difference in balance and ride. Mine are 22" 285/45-22 GM wheels and the LTX tires are great, but betting the ride would be much better on the 20" wheels. I personally hate the large wheels with skinny sidewalls but mine came with them.
I also don’t like trucks with low profile tires. I get it, it’s a look, just not for me. 22 is not that bad and the Escalade V is one truck that they fit. My Z71 not so much. Very happy with my 20’s. My ride is really unbelievable. I think it is the best I’ve ever had and I have said before it is really close to my friends S class Benz.

OP
OP
D

Delta33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update on my Pirelli. They are absolutely amazing. They needed a little breaking in , but I’ll get them again and again. The handling is significantly better , the ride is much more comfortable and the sound went silent. They do need a few hundred miles of breaking in tho. Highly recommend them

NavyLCDR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thread necromancing a little bit here. I'm glad to see you love the Pirelli AS Plus 3. I just picked mine up from Walmart, date code 4722, so only 15 weeks old! Having them mounted on 20" GF-X TR-21 wheels in a few days. I hope I didn't make a mistake on the tires, I use my Yukon to pull my 26' travel trailer with.

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on my Pirelli. They are absolutely amazing. They needed a little breaking in , but I’ll get them again and again. The handling is significantly better , the ride is much more comfortable and the sound went silent. They do need a few hundred miles of breaking in tho. Highly recommend them
How many miles has you put on your Pirelli? I thought the 1st 10k was great then they got noisy but that was several years ago so they might be better now.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would love to hear how you’re making out with the Pirelli’s and if you still like them?

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up going with General Grabber UHP 305/45/22 and have over 3K miles on them. These are a summer tire but stick to the road even in snow. Much better ride than the factory tires as well.
20240222_174314.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruffnready