Question???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello

How can someone tell when their catalytic converters are nearing their death point? This isnt on my Yukon but its on my 02 Buick Park Avenue. Im seeing a dramatic MPG Decrease 6.8MPG city to be exact. and when in Idle Im starting to hear a sort of chugging sound or like a shaking can of marbles it runs smooth though no hesitation what so ever. hadnt moved the car for about 4 months so if thats any help to u guys.

thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you're experiencing does sound like a cat issue. I've recently inherited my grandma's very low mileage caprice and dealt with a very similar issue. My mpg were low, it choked and fell on it's face upon acceleration and when I started it up or revved the motor the cat rattled. I had it replaced (as well as having a magnaflow installed :)) and it runs smooth as silk now. Sitting like that really does the car no good at all.

OP
OP
edgaranah1

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jacob I guess I'm going to have to break the piggy bank lol. What seems weird is that it runs smooth there is no loss of power as far as I can tell. The car has 90K miles on it but before I bought it it had been sitting for 3 years in my bosses garage used it for a year and hadn't moved it for the past 4 months. My dads right having a car without driving just messes with everything.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
edgaranah1

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the exhaust smell like? If it smells like rotten eggs you can bet it's the cats.

Hhmm haven't done that ill try and see if I sniff anything wrong with the exhaust fumes. Thanks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamesj82