Rear/Front end Rebuild...With Write-up and Pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
I dont think Ill need the temp gauge. I mean its cool 4 looks and all, but with my new setup and the extra fluid in the new cover, Ill be nice and cool back there...:pimp:

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
Ok Ok .....by friday Ill have pics posted of the new and improved champion of the worlllllllllllld. Uh, sorry bout that was watching Monday Night Raw last night. Got a little carried away. But anyways Ill be posting soon. :rocking:

Chevyrider619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big G or anyone... If my truck rolls back and forth a lil from the day i changed the gears 456's also means their gonna bust or what can i do?? I just did my front end 456's duh..

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
:mexsmoke: What a weekand....wow tomcat...Anyhow, heres the writeup for regearing the front IFS on the 97 Tahoe. I couldnt find anyone online who do it so Ill be the 1st. Instead of tackling this with the front IFS still in the truck we removed the whole Front differential. Made it easier to bench work it. [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Bench Work.jpg
    Bench Work.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Front IFS.jpg
    Front IFS.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Use some Muscle.jpg
    Use some Muscle.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
Ok once we had the differential out we made room at the bench. Took out the electric acuator or whatever the tech name is for it. Then we removed all the housing bolts and carefully seperated the 2 halves. We followed that up by removing the pinion and old racers,sleeves and bearings. You just have to simply lift the old ring out. NOW LISTEN CAREFULLY. The housing is made out of aluminium. SO WHAT I DID AND WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IS TAKE THE NEW PINION TO A MACHINE SHOP. Tell them you want new bearings pressed on the pinion, the ring and have them press the new Pinon back into the housing for you. If you dont, you will screw up something I promise!:ehcapt:

Now then while your parts are at the shop start cleaning up . Get all the gunk and crap out of the old housing. You wont need a gasket because ones not used in the front. Dont ask me why. You will need to use a chisel to remove any stubborn racers or sleeves. Hence my picture.

And a great bigg thanks to the Vikings for costing me a boatload of cash yesterday. Thanks you purple mfs:yourself:

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
Ok guys. Got everything buttoned up. Just gotta check the backlash with the dial indicator before I close up the rearend. Then Ill post some pics of me driving clear thru the local police station..:biggun::gr_guns: anyways the point is im done. Ill post the pics this afternoon after I get home from an early day of work. Finally the Beast is Back!!

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
:scum:Guys I gotta put someone on blast here. Dons Machine Shop in Kenosha, Wi did me way wrong. Dude charged me to set my pinion depth for the front, and check backlash , seal it up for me. This turkey only got my dam new bearings on the carrier right. yet I got charged for the whole job. Ended up having to take it to the Man when it comes to gears. TnT outta waukesha is tops hands down. Make sure when you go to have the front pressed in you go to a GOOD MACHINE SHOP. Otherwise you will be pissed like I was. I will put the pics of tomorrow once Im done toying with the beast.

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
:mexsmoke: ah yes. The beast is back. Faster than ever. Better mpg than ever. This truck is the shit period. Hope the write up with all the details and pictures helped you cats. [/ATTACH]

Attachments

• cornfield 97.jpg
    cornfield 97.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 46
  • beast boy.jpg
    beast boy.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 48

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omastylie75