Reuse injectors without changing o-rings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seanslane

Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to reinstall the injectors without changing the o-rings?
I have heads off and have cleaned the injector ports very well. As well as cleaned the injectors. I put them in and they fit tight.
Just wondering if anyone has ever done it before and if it works, or do they not seal good enough and the compression blows by the seals?
Also has anyone had some of the injectors fail after a hard removal and reinstall? I have watched a video where a guy has multiple misfires on injectors that were working before he took them out. In his replies someone said they are fragile and break when taking them out if you have to pry them out.

I don’t really want to replace them all since they are expensive. But I also don’t want to have to keep buying those, one time use fuel lines if I have to replace multiple injectors as they go bad.
Thank you.

Grady_Wilson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never reinstall an injector without changing the o-ring.
Especially since the o-rings are so cheap.
It's a lot of work to get to them and it is a huge hassle to get back in there if something doesn't seal correctly.
I've never pulled or swapped an injector, on any vehicle, without changing out the o-ring.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to reinstall the injectors without changing the o-rings?
I have heads off and have cleaned the injector ports very well. As well as cleaned the injectors. I put them in and they fit tight.
Just wondering if anyone has ever done it before and if it works, or do they not seal good enough and the compression blows by the seals?
Also has anyone had some of the injectors fail after a hard removal and reinstall? I have watched a video where a guy has multiple misfires on injectors that were working before he took them out. In his replies someone said they are fragile and break when taking them out if you have to pry them out.

I don’t really want to replace them all since they are expensive. But I also don’t want to have to keep buying those, one time use fuel lines if I have to replace multiple injectors as they go bad.
Thank you.
It's good practice to replace them but I don't think your truck is old enough yet to where they would be degraded. If you smell gas or your mileage goes down, pop the hood.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is OP asking about DI engine? Like the L83 since it's on the 2015+ section?

I agree about port injector o rings being inexpensive and easy to replace, but I'm guessing it's different setup about DI? I don't have any experience on the newer engines, so that's why I'm asking, other than the fuel pressure is very high on those engines, like in the thousands of psi...

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope they are really cheap why would you not change them? I replaced 4 injectors last summer. They sell a tool that makes it easy to remove and install the new rings if you want.

OP
OP
S

Seanslane

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I’ll go ahead and replace them. They just fit very tight, so I thought it might be ok. I did watch a few videos and it does look like the new o-rings, when assembled, do stick out farther than my used ones.
Man those holes are so gunked up. The can see where guys might have an o-ring roll on them on installation. luckily I have the heads off to clean them. Hopefully none of the injectors broke when removing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pawaso

Latest posts