Stereo Help...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you know, I own a Saturn Relay.. Same thing as a Pontiac Montana or a Chevy Uplander.

My wife wants the stereo to be upgraded.. Nothing spectacular, no amps. Just a head unit and speakers.

However she has one specific requirement, and I have one requirement.

My requirement is easy, Android Auto. Preferred wireless, but wired is OK.

Her requirement is a bit more difficult....

The Saturn has a rear DVD player and screen. We dont use the DVD player, as DVD's have gone the way of the Dodo.
We use the Aux in on the DVD player and stream from our phone to the display, and the sound also goes out over the speakers.

She wants something a bit more streamlined. Where the head unit has a RCA Video out, and she can stream from her phone thats connected to the head unit, and it will play on the rear display. Like Netflix, PLEX, Hulu, etc.

Every stereo store we have talked to says this is not possible unless the van is parked. That defeats the purpose of keeping the kids entertained while driving.

Any help here?

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you know, I own a Saturn Relay.. Same thing as a Pontiac Montana or a Chevy Uplander.

My wife wants the stereo to be upgraded.. Nothing spectacular, no amps. Just a head unit and speakers.

The Saturn has a rear DVD player and screen. We dont use the DVD player, as DVD's have gone the way of the Dodo.
We use the Aux in on the DVD player and stream from our phone to the display, and the sound also goes out over the speakers.

She wants something a bit more streamlined. Where the head unit has a RCA Video out, and she can stream from her phone thats connected to the head unit, and it will play on the rear display. Like Netflix, PLEX, Hulu, etc.

Every stereo store we have talked to says this is not possible unless the van is parked. That defeats the purpose of keeping the kids entertained while driving.

Any help here?
Back in the day. You just ground the purple wire and it thinks you’re in park all the time. Now I’ve heard of some brands changing this to where you have to like engage the parking brake twice or something to activate video playing. This was done to combat the grounding trick. I just don’t know how many manufacturers went this route or not.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there should be a wire around the issue, as stated it is usually just wired in to receive a signal from something, i have seen guys just use a toggle switch to do this as the stereo just needs the desired input/output disruption and how does it know if it came from the parking brake or a toggle.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You stated that you've already spoke to numerous stereo stores. Have you spoken to the folks at Crutchfield? If not, give them a call and speak to their Techs. Maybe they can help you, maybe not, but IMO, it is worth the time for you to call them.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You may need to look at the specs of the specific HU you've picked -- the installation instructions should detail what is needed to view videos while parked, and you can see how that works.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any help here?
true from there legal standpoint, but all you have to add is a cheap $10 microswitch and the magic happens.
"might" not work from a phone streaming, but you could easily add a roku, etc & a hotspot. or put stuff on a sd card or thumb drive.
been doing this for decades.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sylentnite