This truck is incredible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I buy newer vehicles. I appreciate the older stuff and I enjoy working on it, but the safety built into the newer rigs is unparalleled. I view a portion of the cost of a new rig as a one-time insurance expense. I hope my family never has to use this insurance, but seeing these kind of pictures reminds me that it's 100% worth it.
More importantly, this is why you buy BIG stuff to drive! Any compact or mini-SUV, sedan or whatever would have been decimated. Putting as much Iron as possible between you and another party is more important than ever with the way some drivers drive today.....

OP
OP
Sweet Pete

Sweet Pete

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad you are safe and had that nice suburban cocoon around you! How’s the guy in the ford?
I’m not sure. He wasn’t buckled, looked like his head (or something) spidered the windshield twice, we needed to tourniquet a compound fracture on his arm before EMS got there, he was thrown into the passenger seat. He was conscience. A police office thought the smelled alcohol.

After I hit him his truck collided with stopped car on the other side of the interstate then it some how came back and passed me in the ditch, clipping my door as I was exiting.

Rizop

Reaction score
Really glad you’re ok . Life is short and precious . That’s awesome that the vehicle did its job . It’s almost weird to have this arms race of “who has the biggest car “ to protect yourself and your family; shouldn’t have to be this way , but I’m glad that I bought one and hope I never have to experience its safety features being deployed

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part of the engineering genius is that the chevy symbol is completely unscathed and still front and center (almost) for the after pictures.

Marketing at its finest.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Sheer mass, height above the road and crumple zone is going to protect you like a herd of elephants surrounding the little ones.

I’ll bet you never thought your day would end up like that. Really, really glad you’re ok.

The last encounter we had in our Esky with airborne construction materials I learned about COVID fallout and how repairs and the Insurance companies changed.

* They no longer cover you with a rental car for the duration of the repair if it’s over 30 days (or they try not to).

* The expectation is you wait without a rental car until the shop is ready to take your car in if they’re busy.

* They assume you’ll accept that your repair shop being closed during XMAS & New Years holidays should be counted as business days the shop is working on your car. In my case a full 5 days off.

* When it’s not your fault they’ll gladly ask you to pay the deductible you’re not obligated to pay and they’ll reimburse you (eventually).

* They’ll expect that you’ll be alright with a Toyota Yaris and look confused if you say the entire family is almost 6’3”.

After the above issues I up’d our rental coverage. For an extra $100 annually it went from $40 a day to $90 or $1.2k to 2.7k a month. AAA beeach’d and moaned about that rate and actually tried to talk me into not using all the coverage to rent a Tahoe.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you are ok, these new cars are built so well for crashworthiness, it really is like having additional insurance.

My kids and I walked away pretty much unhurt when a drunk driver ran a red light and I t-***** him at about 40-45 mph. Our 2012 T&C took a hard hit, but we were safe and to me, that is all that mattered, all 3 of my kids were in car seats at the time as well.

That whole incident taught me a lot about insurance as well, what I can say, is you really have to be a PITA for them otherwise they don't give 2 sh*ts about paying anything or ensuring you have a suitable retal car.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I wrecked my 2021 LS Suburban when a guy in a F350 tried to cross the highway in front of me.
I can’t get over how well the engineering for a crash worked. Im amazed and grateful. For all the gripes about stuff that doesn’t work well on this thing or that, the truck definitely did its job in this collision.
In the instant before impact I thought I was going to get really messed up… I was able to unbuckle, open the door and walk away relatively unscathed. Incredible.
Glad you're okay! Your Suburban definitely did its job. Crashworthiness is the #1 reason why we drive these trucks. With 2 kids and often needing to drive on the notoriously dangerous I-95, we feel a lot safer in the Yukon XL than we would in a smaller vehicle.

We had a close call a couple of years ago when a truck rear-ended a car in the right hand lane on I-95 doing about 75, sending the car careening in front of us and rolling the truck on its side. To this day I do not know how we avoided hitting that car. I got out and looked around the Yukon for damage but found none. Must've missed it by millimeters. My wife still has PTSD from it and won't drive anything else on the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayden with 2011 y