Transmission clutches are gone.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove 2 .25 hours to the wife's family for Easter. And 2 miles out side of town first stop light started from a stop and the tach jumped to 3k and I was doing 20mph and foot bairly on gas. She was slipping bad. I limped the hoe to the grand mothers house in 2nd (the best gear) with hazards on. F^€£ just my luck a holiday weekend in a small town and the one and only mechanical part of the truck I refuse to work on or can do in the drive way. And to top it off one of the most pricy next to the hole motor. Phone book shows 3 trans shops: chevy dealer, aamco trans, and billies trans service. I'll tell you this I will not be going to billies. Gonna get a quote from chevy and aamco. And a quote from AAA to tow Tahoe home and see what I do. Crap crap crap I didn't want to put a new trans in. Looks like I'll be dumping 1,000-2,000 tomorrow. Im not happy.

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove 2 .25 hours to the wife's family for Easter. And 2 miles out side of town first stop light started from a stop and the tach jumped to 3k and I was doing 20mph and foot bairly on gas. She was slipping bad. I limped the hoe to the grand mothers house in 2nd (the best gear) with hazards on. F^€£ just my luck a holiday weekend in a small town and the one and only mechanical part of the truck I refuse to work on or can do in the drive way. And to top it off one of the most pricy next to the hole motor. Phone book shows 3 trans shops: chevy dealer, aamco trans, and billies trans service. I'll tell you this I will not be going to billies. Gonna get a quote from chevy and aamco. And a quote from AAA to tow Tahoe home and see what I do. Crap crap crap I didn't want to put a new trans in. Looks like I'll be dumping 1,000-2,000 tomorrow. Im not happy.

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright just left the trans shop. New shell. Upgrading from a 6 clutch to a heavy duty 10 clutch pack. Adding a shift kit, corvette servo, and a bigger torque converter. And all new innards. Guy is building me a new tranny that's should be perfect for the lift, tires, and performance mods. This guy came highly recommended from my father inlaws brother, who gets his hot rod 400s and powerglide trans hand build by. So if a 8 second 800hp drag car transmission. Then I feel good having him build me a new trans with specs I want

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2,200 out the door. All parts including a new housing and labor.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can do a trans swap in the driveway. i did mine on my silverado SS in a garage with 2x4s under the tires and a regular car jack with a piece of wood to lift the trans. ill admit it wasnt fun tho and if it ever has to come out again its probably getting done a shop loll. for what your getting upgraded thats a good price i got a quote for my yukon a while back it was 1800 with everything

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can do the swap at home. But I'm out of town at family. And well this guy very good and highly recommended. And if you add up my upgrades. It's not a bad deal for the bullet proof trans I'm getting. Also stronger input and output shafts also. Forgot to mention those. I hope it is worth the money.

Last edited:

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the builder is as good is you hear it should be really good. from your signature your truck looks basically stock so it should be a walk in the park for a built trans

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ye basically stock motor wise. Not like I have a SC but would be nice. I plan on a few more power adders in the future.

I built the tranny like I did mainly for towing and the added rotational mass of my tire wheel package. This trans should be great

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got the call from the Trans builder and he sais it is all done and tested and strong as hell.. looks like tomorrow i will be dropping the family F250 7.3L back off at the stables and hopping a ride with mother inlaw 2 hours and 45 min away to grab my tahoe.. so excited.

and new Airaid intake is due to arrive by the weekend...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DH24YUKON