Universal Remote System: Can It Be Re-Wired to Ignition or RAP for Its Power Source?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
Y'all,

For security purposes, I don't keep garage door remotes in my vehicles outside and I'd like to have the Universal Remote System work in my Tahoe, but not at all times, just when the ignition is on or RAP is active.

I haven't found a wiring diagram or pulled the overhead apart to look at the harness, but I do see on page B-27 of the 2013 Electrical Manual that it gets power from Pin/Wire 9/"PDM Fuse." Is it as simple as re-routing the wire to an ignition/RAP circuit at the fuse block?

All this assumes it doesn't lose the coding memory if power is removed, in which case this would be unworkable.

Thanks,
Scrappy

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Is there a phone app that can open / close garage doors? Damn! I never realized the consequences of having a remote in the truck to have a field day in the garage and or house.

10 Stars to you today for bringing that up.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always park inside my garage, and lock my ride. Even in my garage.

OP
OP
Scrappycrow

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
I always park inside my garage, and lock my ride. Even in my garage.
That's great, but we've got 5 vehicles and only two indoor spots, so 3 have to be outside. I always lock all of them, including the two that are inside.

Is there a phone app that can open / close garage doors? Damn! I never realized the consequences of having a remote in the truck to have a field day in the garage and or house.

10 Stars to you today for bringing that up.
Thanks for the stars!

Yes, you can open/close garage doors via an app, via: 1) home automation systems, or 2) newer openers that have wifi and an associated app. WRT the latter, I have a Chamberlain with their "myQ Smart Home" feature, but am not a fan of wifi-everything, so I haven't implemented that or the app. FWIW, the app also allows you to give one-time or time-limited passcodes so someone can open/close the garage door.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great, but we've got 5 vehicles and only two indoor spots, so 3 have to be outside. I always lock all of them, including the two that are inside.

Thanks for the stars!

Yes, you can open/close garage doors via an app, via: 1) home automation systems, or 2) newer openers that have wifi and an associated app. WRT the latter, I have a Chamberlain with their "myQ Smart Home" feature, but am not a fan of wifi-everything, so I haven't implemented that or the app. FWIW, the app also allows you to give one-time or time-limited passcodes so someone can open/close the garage door.
WiFi can be made most difficult for unauthorized access, but it’s not something most folks understand and attempt to configure. Once you have the app setup, you can wipe your vehicles universal remotes. Unless they work on ignition power without losing memory.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is something that has always bugged me, but does it still work if the alarm is going off? I need to test that. I do know I have had my battery disconnected for quite a while, and the homelink worked without reprogramming. This would be a great mod to do. Maybe do a kill switch that cuts both homelink and fuel pump...

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could only get my newer car to work with my opener, sad too because the last owner definitely put new openers up and nice doors in before we go it. Just one model before wifi. the 2011 yukon or 08 c6 couldn't program, only my 14 car. so keeping remotes in them was a worry. we get random rashes of kids coming thru the neighborhood checking for unlocked doors, they don't break in or take the vehicle, just looking for unlocked cars and rummage through, I'm told they look for trucks first as they are mostly likely to have guns in them. that's the real target, and of course being tx it's almost all of them, but seems very irresponsible to leave it in your truck and not locked, but that's what the cops say drive this stuff around here.

I was always worried me or the wife would forgot to lock a door and they could open the garage door. it's not something they seem to do, but still.

between that and wanting the extra foot of overhead space for lifting the yukon up, I got a new side mount opener with wifi. works great super quite and the over head light can be mounted anywhere. so now it's phones only to open the garage. it also reminds me if I forget to close it, which has only happened once, but it was when I left on a road trip. was 2 states away before a neighbor called. luckily they were able to hit the button and run out, but definitely like to avoid that again. being old and losing your mind is rough haha.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, I have parked 1 car in the garage 1 time in the last 40 years, needless to say the onboard door opener is not programmed.
if someone wants in your home or garage a window is easily broken, people get a false sense of security from doors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse