upgrade air intake tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I get to save my pennies then....Aesthetically, I like the look but it would just be that - to look pretty!

They sound pretty, IMO. It's like a performance muffler that you only hear when you're on the throttle then is quiet when cruising. I moved a muffler down my list of wants after I got the MIT cuz it had such a nice sound.

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sound pretty, IMO. It's like a performance muffler that you only hear when you're on the throttle then is quiet when cruising. I moved a muffler down my list of wants after I got the MIT cuz it had such a nice sound.
100% this. I have no need for an exhaust now. Replaced the rear resonator with a replacement SLP section and nice tips, and I'm happy. Now, the front section has ~140k and needs to be replaced eventually, but that's another issue entirely. I'll put a stock front section on.

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started this thread when I wanted to upgrade the tube on my ‘09 Tahoe (which was totaled last summer) - now I’m doing similar with my ‘13. This time went the DIY route.

My design is a little unorthodox. All the elbows are stormwater drain PVC, not sch. 40. Drain pvc is smaller in OD and wall thickness than sch 40. Also cheaper and lighter. But interestingly the sch 40 female connectors fit perfectly over the belled ends of the drain PVC. So instead of using male pipe inside the female elbows, I used sch 40 connectors over them. 3” to 4” rubber adapters (Fernco) on both ends. In hindsight I probably should have just gone with the male drain pvc, but I didn’t want to buy a 10’ section of it, I only needed 1’. In the end, I’m pleased with the appearance and definitely the sound. I epoxied a barbed nipple on for the PVC connection. IMG_5434.jpegIMG_5436.jpegIMG_5439.jpeg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started this thread when I wanted to upgrade the tube on my ‘09 Tahoe (which was totaled last summer) - now I’m doing similar with my ‘13. This time went the DIY route.

My design is a little unorthodox. All the elbows are stormwater drain PVC, not sch. 40. Drain pvc is smaller in OD and wall thickness than sch 40. Also cheaper and lighter. But interestingly the sch 40 female connectors fit perfectly over the belled ends of the drain PVC. So instead of using male pipe inside the female elbows, I used sch 40 connectors over them. 3” to 4” rubber adapters (Fernco) on both ends. In hindsight I probably should have just gone with the male drain pvc, but I didn’t want to buy a 10’ section of it, I only needed 1’. In the end, I’m pleased with the appearance and definitely the sound. I epoxied a barbed nipple on for the PVC connection. View attachment 428846View attachment 428847View attachment 428848
Nice Work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cornut