Water Leak.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JodiDro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I Just want to start off by thanking all of you guys who are quick to help others who have a problem..... the help is greatly appreciated from us newer members. i have a 96 yukon 2 door, and whenever it rains, i handwash or even take it through the car wash, i get my passenger front seat carpent soaked... i cant see where the leak is coming from, so idk if its from under the hood or my door. has anyone encountered this before? what can i do to figure it out?.... this has been ongoing since i noticed it this winter, im so tempted to purchase new carpet because my tan is really stained from being soaked and people getting dirt on the floor.... any help is highly appreciated.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got it, many of us have the same problem. I have no idea where it comes from.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a big hole with a gromet for the antenna wire ... have you guys checked to make sure that is there??

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jodi, the usual suspect is the screw hole for the screw that holds in the black plastic cowl piece under the windshield wipers. the ribbed black plastic between where the hood stops and the windshield starts. did you have your windshield replaced lately? even if not, there are screws that hold the black plastic cowl down, and if they are either missing or the metal has rusted around the screw/screw rusting, it can leak water into the truck on the passenger side. the black plastic piece is actually 3 pieces. the wiper arms come off real easy, there's a tab on the bottom of it that you slide back and the wiper pulls right off. under the wiper arms, there should be like 2 or 3 screws on the center section, and there's a screw on each end that holds the 2 ends on. the end screws screw into the fender. i'm rambling, i'm sorry. anyhow, hood up, take the 2 screws out of the 2 ends, the small ends should lift up and unhook from the long middle section. then, there's another screw at each end of the center section and maybe another 2 screws somewhere in the middle of the center section. if you start pulling up and it's not coming up with expected ease, check for a screw. anyhow, one of the screws on the passenger side penetrates into the cab of the truck, and if it leaks water it'll leak right into the truck. mine was leaking there, quick fix. i put some sealant over the screw hole, and ran the screw back in. just gotta make sure the screw still fits tightly, if it's stripped out you probably wanna go up a size just to make sure it's tight. throw some sealant over the screw and you should be good to go. i had another couple leaks, i had a thread about it. another suspect is in the corner of where the firewall and top of windshield cowl (the horizontal flat part of metal) by where the hood hinges are, there's a body seam that's gooped up with sealant from the factory. it's painted white, but you'll see where i mean. anyhow, mine was leaking on the driver side there. i cleaned it up as best i could and put some windshield adhesive sealant stuff over it and repainted it white with a rattle can. anyhow, check the cowl first. easy 30 minute job. that's where i'd start. branndon

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had the windshield replaced, still leaks. This is no little leak that I would expect from the little hole in the cowl. I have rubber floor mats with a 1" lip and it fills up in a few hours of rain. Like I said it is a big leak. not a few drops on the floor.

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kris often times the windshield replacements begins the leak because the screw is missing. i'm not saying that's your problem, but it would be some cheap insurance to check. pull your cowl up and cover the screw holes with a piece of duct tape or something and see if it still leaks with a water hose. it would surprise you how much it can leak in. also check running a hose over the flat part of the cowl on the passenger side and see if it leaks. takes a while, but you can eventually get it figured out. good luck man. branndon

OP
OP
J

JodiDro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for all the help brandon, im gonna go toy with it tomorrow, and see if that is my problem, i will update you on the status and tell you how things are going. Chris i hope you find out whats the deal with your truck as well bro, although mine isnt as bad as yours its really hard to keep up with, especially if you want to keep your truck nice for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeSexingStick