03 Hoe Fuel Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angel.arteaga

Reaction score
Hello, I need a detailed step by step guide on how to replace the fuel filter on my tahoe. Its a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with a V8 5.3 fuel injection. I would like someone to post some pics if possible. This is what i have found so far in my research....

1. Locate fuel filter. (its under the driver door)
2. Relieve fuel preasure. (start engine and remove fuel pump fuse or relay with engine running)
3. Unbolt fuel filter with open ended wrenches.
4. Replace preasure washers on filter bolts.
5. Install new filter.

Please tell me if this is correct or if i am missing something. If someone has done this before please tell me in details how you did it.

iilijah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i would first check to see if a filter is there. the way i understand it is the only filter in on the pump itself that is in the tank.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2003 and is under the drivers side. Now, take this for what it's worth, but I had an old guy at a shop tell me that unless you are having problems, or have replaced your fuel filter on a consistent basis, then don't change it. I have 108k on my original fuel filter and he told me don't change it unless I'm having problems. He said that after 100k the fuel pump is used to pumping through that filter, and if you change the filter and the pump has to change it's output to match, that the pump will die soon afterward. Again, take it for what it's worth. I guess the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" fits here, but I told him I wanted it changed, and he turned down the work by telling me that, so I guess that says something.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine recently and here's what i did-
Filter is in framerail on driver's side. Preped a plastic container by lining it with a bunch of paper towels. I used an old 12" X 16" container. Placed the container under the filter and loosened up the fittings on both ends of the filter slowly, letting all the gasoline drip into the container- only a few ounces. Unbolted the clamp holding the filter and slid it out. Put the new filter in the clamp and bolt back on. Tighten fittings on to new filter. Done.
I didn't replace any pressure washers and didn't find I needed to. I also didn't feel the need to relieve the pressure but that's just the way I did it. The new filter has an arrow on it showing direction of fuel flow so make sure it's facing the correct direction. These are not instructions, just the way I did it. Oh yeah, don't smoke while you're doing this' lol.
As for what taylorjm said, I've never heard of that. A clogged filter will make the fuel pump work harder, therefor putting more stress on it. I believe my filter was original until I replaced it and haven't had any problems.

OP
OP
angel.arteaga

angel.arteaga

Reaction score
So i found my fuel filter, it is under the drivers door, However, upon finding the filter, i found out that it has a nut on onside and another type of connector on the other side. This is consistent with the flex fuel 03. but i did not know and still do not know if mine is a flex fuel. how can i find this out ?

And as far as "if it aint broke, dont fix it", i really dont think that replacing the filter will mess up the pump, but its still something that i wont over look.

can anyone confirm this ?

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Hey chauncey0337what year is your tahoe ?

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i found my fuel filter, it is under the drivers door, However, upon finding the filter, i found out that it has a nut on onside and another type of connector on the other side. This is consistent with the flex fuel 03. but i did not know and still do not know if mine is a flex fuel. how can i find this out ?

And as far as "if it aint broke, dont fix it", i really dont think that replacing the filter will mess up the pump, but its still something that i wont over look.

can anyone confirm this ?

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Hey chauncey0337what year is your tahoe ?

Mine is a 2000.

OP
OP
angel.arteaga

angel.arteaga

Reaction score
Oh ok, i was just asking because i thought it was wierd that your fuel filter would be in the firewall, so where else can i find my VIN number besides the front dash on drivers side ??

Would it be on that sticker that is on the drivers door ?

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

By the way, this is totally off the subject but does anyone know if there is such a device that performs the same function as an SPDT Relay but without the clicking sound ? "SILENT" ????

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you misread my post, I said it's in the framerail, lol. As for the relay, google, there are many different types of relays and you might find one to use for your domelight mod:).

OP
OP
angel.arteaga

angel.arteaga

Reaction score
LOL my apologise i did mis read ur post. No wander i was like wow thats wierd but my mad.

And how did you know about my LED Domelight MOD ???????????????did you go into my other thread ???????

Its cuz as you can see im still a newbie to this forum, still dont know how to do many of the things here.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ngraham2010