03 tahoe smoking help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcaudell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 03 tahoe with 251k miles and it smokes bad once in awhile like once or twice a month will smoke for abt 45 secs to a min and then its gone the truck runs fine anyone have any suggestions of what's causing this? Thanks in advanced

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it smoke when you first start it up or what?

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a ford probe that would do the same and the reason was that the valve seals in the heads had gone bad, and it would allow a little oil to get past when the vehicle sits up like overnight or whatever and when you start the vehicle the smoke would be from it burning that oil up. It did it more when it was colder outside as well.

OP
OP
T

tcaudell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was also told it could be intake gaskets or a pcv valve but who knows. just be time for a new motor
Im going to do a compression test next week

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really dont see how and intake gasket could make it smoke, have you ever gotten out to smell the smoke to see if it smells like oil?

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue usually indicates burning oil so im gonna say that your valve seals are bad since it only does it when the vehicle sits up but who knows could be something else letting oil into the cylinders

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valveseals would be a good guess. I had an 88 IROC (way back in the day) that did that same thing, only a couple times a month. Replaced the valveseals and it went away.

Mike

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valveseals would be a good guess. I had an 88 IROC (way back in the day) that did that same thing, only a couple times a month. Replaced the valveseals and it went away.

Mike

Same here, right down to the 88 IROC.

The seals do go bad over time, 200K+ miles is a long time for the orginal seals and guides to have lasted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus

Latest posts