03 Yukon starting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ulani

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 03 Yukon cranks for several seconds befor it will turn over. I noticed when I go to start it up in the morning when it's cooler outside it turns right over, but later in the day when I go to lunch or leave for work when it is warm outside it takes several tries/ longer to turn over. It has no reduction in power when trying to start. I also noticed that when you turn the key to start it and it it just cranks and then release the key it still continues to try and turn over like your still holding the key to start it like its stuck. Can someone please help?

PwtrSS_OakCliff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 Yukon cranks for several seconds befor it will turn over. I noticed when I go to start it up in the morning when it's cooler outside it turns right over, but later in the day when I go to lunch or leave for work when it is warm outside it takes several tries/ longer to turn over. It has no reduction in power when trying to start. I also noticed that when you turn the key to start it and it it just cranks and then release the key it still continues to try and turn over like your still holding the key to start it like its stuck. Can someone please help?

Okay dude.. ALWAYS start from cheapest to most expensive...

First thing.. Have you check your battery cables to make sure there is no corrosion? If there is, clean them good and use a metal scrapper if you need to.

Second... Check your ground cable going to your starter and make sure its tight.

If these things are good than I would take my starter off and take it to autozone and have them test it to see if its good. They do not charge you to do it. You may have a bad solenoid or internal problems in the starter. If its bad than buy yourself another one, preferably one with lifetime warranty so you wont ever have to buy another again. Duralast is good. Cost me $16x.xx

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2003-GMC-Yukon-XL-1500-2WD/Starter/_/N-jk7upZ9rict

So if your still having a problem and its not your starter than you may have an ignition switch failure. Those will be the only two logical explanations. Here is a link to the switch. BTW are they any codes that come on?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...erByKeyWord=ignition+switch&fromString=search

Let us know if any of this helped and if you solved the problem.

Antonio

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trojjan