03 z71 Tahoe didn’t stay aligned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bsharp1223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, was trying to find out some info on my sons 03 tahoe steering issues. We had new tires put on and an alignment done. Steering wheel was straight for a day or two but now it is turned left quite a bit to keep car straight. We have replaced tie rods, upper and lower control arms, idler arm and pitman arm prior to tires and alignment. Ball joints all new. I believe the intermediate steering shaft is new as well.

I will say that the steering wheel is still quite sloppy. Guesing maybe the gear box is just worn out? Would trying to tighten that be a logical next step? Or replace and get another alignment? Thanks for any ideas. He and I have worked pretty ******* the thing and are not feeling the fruits of our labor! Frustrated. Thanks for any ideas.

OP
OP
B

Bsharp1223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a thing but would it be possible that after driving the vehicle, all the new components started to settle in and maybe that would cause the new alignment to become off?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, was trying to find out some info on my son's 03 tahoe steering issues. We had new tires put on and an alignment done.
Steering wheel was straight for a day or two but now it is turned left quite a bit to keep car straight.
We have replaced tie rods, upper and lower control arms, idler arm and pitman arm prior to tires and alignment. Ball joints all new.
I believe the intermediate steering shaft is new as well.

I will say that the steering wheel is still quite sloppy. Guessing maybe the gear box is just worn out? Would trying to tighten that be a logical next step?
Or replace and get another alignment? Thanks for any ideas. He and I have worked pretty ******* the thing and are not feeling the fruits of our labor!

Not sure if this is a thing but would it be possible that after driving the vehicle, all the new components started to settle in,
and maybe that would cause the new alignment to become off?

Frustrated.
Thanks for any ideas.
IFF I EVER suffered the above symptoms IMMEDIATELY after an alignment -
especially if I'd replaced all those parts just before the alignment -
I'd either take it back to that alignment mech if I suspected that they did something wrong,
or to a different alignment mech if I lacked such a suspicion.

I'll not accuse anyone of the other possibility ...

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the problem will be that you haven't tightened the screws on the upper wishbone, where the camber and caster are adjusted well enough.

That's what happened to me too.

There are considerable forces acting on it and when you accelerate in a curve, this adjustment mechanism slips.

This means your toe is no longer correct as well..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big aby62

Latest posts