03 Z71 Tahoe Stereo Options. Need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffScott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My stock Bose head unit with 6 cd changer has failed. The changer does not work and I'd like ideas on how to fix this problem. I'm considering the following:'

1. Send the stock HU in and have it repaired for about $139

2. Buy an aftermarket 2 din unit and all of the adapters and harnesses needed to make it have stock functionality. I.E. warning chimes, steering wheel controls, and rear audio controls. Cost: about $400 too rich for me

3. Try to find a newer Bose stock radio out of a newer GM truck that would work with my wiring and maybe have Nav built in to it? I don't know if this is an option or not. Maybe someone out there knows?

I'd appreciate any help or advice you guys got to give. I'm on a tight budget so less expensive is good.

I'd like to add an aux input to the stock HU, but I don't have XM where I could rob the input from. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!

Jeff

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aftermarket double din

You'll never get the features with OEM stuff that you will with aftermarket for 03-06 vehicles. Even getting a 05-06 nav won't get you some features.

Matt04Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm very interested to see what kind of suggestions some people may have for an aftermarket HU. I'm newly in the market to upgrade my stock bose HU and would love some input on aftermarket units people have actually installed.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have CDs or is all your music on a phone or some type of digital media player?

I like Pioneer units personally

Matt04Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm 100% digital when it comes to music. Trying to decide if touchscreen is worth going for is the biggest issue in my mind.

Mister H12

Undercover Racecar
Reaction score
Double dins are always fun, but unless you want dvd or nav, there really isn't any need for it.
If you don't use cds, dont get a cd player (not being a smartass) when they design the digital media receivers, thats all they focus on, if you get a cd player, thats usually their main focus on design and performance.

I haven't gone through as many as some people on here, but JVC and PIONEER have always satisfied my audio needs.

Matt04Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So basically you're saying if I'm not worried about using DVDs or NAV features it's useless to spend the money on a touch screen unit? I definitely understand what you mean about "CD Player" vs "Digital Receiver" though, thanks for the input!

Mister H12

Undercover Racecar
Reaction score
So basically you're saying if I'm not worried about using DVDs or NAV features it's useless to spend the money on a touch screen unit? I definitely understand what you mean about "CD Player" vs "Digital Receiver" though, thanks for the input!

Pretty much, unless you feel like you need to stare at the screen every second to view the album art or something along those lines.

I'd recommend a good digital media reciever. You can have your aux, most have Bluetooth if you wanna use that, or add satellite radio as well. Those tend to be the best bet for a pure audio experience.

Matt04Z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pretty much, unless you feel like you need to stare at the screen every second to view the album art or something along those lines.

I'd recommend a good digital media reciever. You can have your aux, most have Bluetooth if you wanna use that, or add satellite radio as well. Those tend to be the best bet for a pure audio experience.

Would you say there's any real difference/benefit from having usb vs aux input for the use of an iPod or digital music device?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While its not the prettiest unit avalible. This will do everything you want and fits your price range.
USe phone for GPS.
Pioneer - CD - Built-In Bluetooth - Apple® iPod®-Ready - In-Dash Deck with Fixed Faceplate

Remove the 6 disc and get the cubby.
GM PART # 15958735

GM LIST: $26.72
15958735.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy