04 Tahoe Steering Column Noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC04Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got a 04 Z71 4x4 tahoe, there is a clicking or dull ticking sound in the steering column. It drives strait and stays strait when braking. I was told that it could be a bearing or sleeve that needs to be repacked with grease on the steering column. Has anyone had this problem or know something else that it could be?

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a 04 Z71 4x4 tahoe, there is a clicking or dull ticking sound in the steering column. It drives strait and stays strait when braking. I was told that it could be a bearing or sleeve that needs to be repacked with grease on the steering column. Has anyone had this problem or know something else that it could be?

Intermediate Steering Shaft, a common probelm. There are several easy fixes. I will try to find some for you and post

Stay tuned. People will weighin I am sure. We have all had this symptom.

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. My wife got me a new Intermediate shaft for Christmas... Its like driving a new truck! It took about 15 minutes to install and cost about 50.00 shipped. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

sully

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM sells a grease kit to repack the Intermediate shaft, it only costs about $10 I would try that first before dropping $50 plus to fix it. There is no adverse effect that I have found other than it being annoying so there is no rush to fix it.

OP
OP
N

NC04Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. Hopefully I can get this taken care of soon.

sully

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just replaced mine today, GM discontinued the grease kit and the new part doesn't require grease. The great fix they cam up with was make the tolerances closer so it doesn't require grease and sell it for $90 bucks. Ask the dealer for a discount cause I paid $61 for mine from a Chevy dealer. Takes about 30 minutes to put in if you have the power adjustable pedals cause you have to remove the gas pedal and it is a PITA to put pack on.

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
When we bought our 04 Z71 I noticed this on the test drive, told the dealer about it and they repacked it with grease, 8 months later it kinda feels like it's starting to do it again. Guess I'll have to spring for the new shaft.

AngelsTrojans

Reaction score
I just replaced mine today, GM discontinued the grease kit and the new part doesn't require grease. The great fix they cam up with was make the tolerances closer so it doesn't require grease and sell it for $90 bucks. Ask the dealer for a discount cause I paid $61 for mine from a Chevy dealer. Takes about 30 minutes to put in if you have the power adjustable pedals cause you have to remove the gas pedal and it is a PITA to put pack on.

What's the part?

sully

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What's the part?

GM# 19153614, Got it at Young Chevrolet in Dallas. They said that they don't offer the grease kit anymore, you might find it online somewhere but I wanted a permanent fix cause I hate to work on the same thing twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazmain