'04 Yukon 5.3- hesitation, no kickdown, poor performance, Service 4WD message-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpgrace

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings folks, first post from a new member here. In the interest of full disclosure, my Yukon has had issues since I bought it with 20K on the clock. The only big one is that the battery dies after three days, many many trips to the dealer found no fault.
The big problem has now reared it's head and that's why I'm asking your help. Last summer it developed an issue where it would hesitate- poor performance, no gear kickdown, acts just like a bad MAF. No codes at all, usually happened when it was cold but got worse. I cleaned the MAF with a brand name cleaner, no joy. It acts as if someone else has control of the throttle- random drop in RPMS, loud intake sound as if it's running WOT but lean. Again no codes, has never turned on the CEL except for the self test.
My wife and I went on vacation- I disconnected the battery while it was at the airport, came back, reconnected- ran great for eight months! No recurrence of this problem at all.
Last week we had some ice and I clicked to auto 4wd. The next day I clicked back to 2wd and got the Service 4wd message. It has persisted, I soldered some bad joints at the switch assembly, no joy. It has begun the old low performance/hesitation issue again, but worse. I'm thinking the TCM is getting some bad info from the 4wd system? I disconnected the battery and shorted the cables overnight Friday, it ran great Saturday and this morning, just started it's old tricks again.
I think I need to replace the transfer case encoder, but is that what's causing the performance hit as well?
BTW I switched careers to a low paying computer job- I was an ASE Master tech until my creds expired this past summer- this vehicle however has defied all logic....
Thank you for any advise, hope y'all enjoy the game tonight.
Ryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065