05 Yukon AC Clutch is Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayHow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am very new to all of this. I didn’t know how to change my oil and had never changed a tire like 2 months ago. I’ve been lurking here and trying to learn on my own and fix any issues with my Yukon.

I’ve been having AC issues and everything tests good but the clutch was not engaging and compressor would not turn on. When I turn the AC on, the snowflake comes up and is not blinking.

A shop near me told me it was the HVAC control module. I replaced it with a Dorman unit, just to see, and nothing changed. They properly emptied the refrigerant and refilled, added some dye, and said they didn’t see any leaks. I tested the high pressure switch (I think it’s the high pressure, it’s the one attached to the accumulator) and tested the wiring, both tested okay. 5v at the wiring harness and I can’t remember what the switch was reading but I believe it was between 0.4-4.25 volts.

Yesterday I tapped the clutch in a bit with the engine running and the compressor kicked on for the first time in a very long time. However, now it is stuck. If the engine is running, the compressor is running. I haven’t driven it or left it running for long because I’ve read that the compressor is supposed to cycle, and since it would not be cycling, I didn’t want to damage anything more than it already is.

Would it be best to just have the system evacuated and replace the whole compressor, or would it be cheaper/possible to only replace the clutch?

Any advice is much appreciated.

DRLexpress

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would disconnect the wire going to the clutch and see if the clutch lets go. That would tell you for sure if it is stuck or you have electrical problems.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just remove the A/C belt so you can drive it, and until you can get it diagnosed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beckmaster